Follow-up on a HowTo: Unlock or new topic?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Follow-up on a HowTo: Unlock or new topic?

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-01-21, 22:15

In the Tutorials/Howtos section, there is a post Export History from Pale Moon where I'd like to append a follow-up, on how to do the same thing using the command line. Can that post be unlocked for this purpose? Or should I just make a new topic with a link to the original post?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Follow-up on a HowTo: Unlock or new topic?

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-01-21, 23:29

Anyone who knows about sqlite's command line interface will most likely know how to perform the equivalent tasks even without a tutorial, so I think you should leave it at that.
Not saying it won't be useful, but you also have to consider your target audience.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-22, 04:03

And there are third party GUI tools to use with SQLite anyway, much easier to directly view table contents and perform queries.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-01-24, 01:09

The point of the tute would be to introduce SQLite GUI users to the power of the command line, and to demo exporting data for machine processing, in addition to human readability.

With this thread so far I feel like the poor saps who post "How do I do [whatever]" and the replies don't even answer the question - they just say "You don't actually want to do that". It's a non-constructive form of gatekeeping. Even the link to SQLiteBrowser doesn't help, because the original post already has one.

Will wait a bit more before proceeding, thanks guys. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-24, 01:18

Bilbo47 wrote:
2021-01-24, 01:09
The point of the tute would be to introduce SQLite GUI users to the power of the command line
People who use a GUI don't want to learn "the power of the command-line" because if they did, they would already be using it. I'm not entirely sure where your angle is coming from but it's definitely not something that would be very useful to add and would just be confusing the topic for readers.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-01-24, 01:24

Bilbo47 wrote:
"How do I do [whatever]" and the replies don't even answer the question - they just say "You don't actually want to do that".
Sometimes that is indeed the correct answer, but alas people find it out only when it's too late.
If I were to tell you all the times I discovered that I didn't want to do something after doing it and realizing it was a bad idea, you'd have to read a book longer than the Bible. And that's only limited to computers.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-24, 02:18

Bilbo47 wrote:
The point of the tute would be to introduce SQLite GUI users to the power of the command line, and to demo exporting data for machine processing, in addition to human readability.
Where exactly are you seeing a need for knowing about commandline usage and machine processing among the users of the browser? A tutorial should at least address some problem that is frequently faced. Right now, what would really be helpful would be a tutorial on getting Flash to work again given so many people are now asking about it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX