Blocked by cloudflare on repo when using online editor Topic is solved

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Blocked by cloudflare on repo when using online editor

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-01-12, 23:13

I wanted to update https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProd ... Dialog.xul (on my fork)
but when I want to push change with code i get cloudflare error.
block-cf.png
It only blocks access to this function then, accessing rest of the website is normal.

Pushing changes without code works normally https://repo.palemoon.org/micwoj92/Pale ... 979fe9b992

The line I wanted to change is 63, so it does not mention GitHub

Code: Select all

or getting involved in our development by tackling some of the issues found in our <label class="text-link" href="https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon/issues/">issue tracker</label>.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Blocked by cloudflare on repo when using online editor

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-13, 06:36

CF overzealous protection rules are overzealous. Try pushing from a local clone and not using the web editor.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-13, 14:15

Yeah I'm getting tired of these "cloudlfare specials"; I checked the rules in effect and most of them are safeguards for people making XSS-vulnerable front-end websites to begin with which really doesn't apply to us.
I've disabled that particular ruleset now as it has too many false positives.

PS: I used the update you wanted to do as a test, so... the update has been done ;P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-01-13, 18:59

Thanks Moonchild!
Try pushing from a local clone and not using the web editor.
Yes I will definitely do that when I will (hopefully) start contributing some bigger changes. Still a beginner :P

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-13, 20:28

Well those CF protections are a lifesaver depending on what you are running them in front of. Especially for some of the more mainstream longstanding fucked over web application projects eg the wordpress. But for others like those I code up and Gitea they are more of a hindrance. But one can't know that unless it is tried for a while.

Tried it, wasn't productive, and Moonchild switched it off. No big story here nor one of foul.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-13, 20:33

I had already manually disabled about 10 rules in the set; i just reviewed all of them now and certainly not something we need here.
And you can be angry with CF about this but I think that's an overreaction; as stated it's a good thing to have if you know nothing and run risky off-the-shelf stuff that is known for its exploits or are subject to the whims of Indian "web designers" you got on-the-cheap who know nothing about web security. At least CF gives full control over what to enable or disable, but yes, it does take some time to know what gets in the way and what helps.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite