Does this forum require you to log in again if your IP address changes? Topic is solved

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

The Squash

Does this forum require you to log in again if your IP address changes?

Unread post by The Squash » 2021-01-05, 21:23

Like I said above.

I have an unreliable Internet connection and often the connection drops out for up to 10 minutes at a time. Predictably, when the connection comes back up, I have a different IP address. Sometimes this happens when I'm logged on to the forum; my cookies aren't cleared when my connection drops out, but when I advance to the next page in a thread, for instance, I'm forced to log in again.

I figure this is supposed to happen, in an attempt to prevent identity spoofing attacks, but want to confirm it. Otherwise I'll assume someone has broken into my account.

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Does this forum require you to log in again if your IP address changes?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-05, 22:10

Entirely intentional security measure of the forum software.
While in some situations it may be able to recover your session by providing a session ID in the URL, in combination with additional checks like cookies, there is no guarantee that this will succeed if your IP changed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

The Squash

Re: Does this forum require you to log in again if your IP address changes?

Unread post by The Squash » 2021-01-06, 00:47

Thanks. That's all I needed to know.