Brazil?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Brazil?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-04, 11:14

So, i noticed a pretty big increase in traffic from Brazil to palemoon.org addresses, which is now dwarfing traffic from the USA... Is these something I should know about Brazil that I haven't heard of yet? Any Brazilians here care to enlighten me? :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Brazil?

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-09-04, 11:25

After all Pale Moon is a brazillion times better than other browsers!
Sorry... :oops:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-04, 11:28

vannilla wrote:
2020-09-04, 11:25
After all Pale Moon is a brazillion times better than other browsers!
Sorry... :oops:
*slaps you with a large trout*
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-09-04, 13:10

Must be that nice brazillian air,,,or maybe it's carnival time :D :D
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-09-04, 22:33

Are these addresses Tor nodes? Maybe somebody's attacking the site and they wanted to mask their identidy.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-05, 08:33

I haven't bothered to check the logs yet. just noticed the statistics. Not really high priority since we can handle an extra million hits in 24 hours, easy.
As for Tor, unlikely. Tor users have no control over which exit node they end up using so would not be coming from one location.

I was just wondering if there was a Pale Moon buzz in Brazil I am unaware of or something.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-08, 09:26

The Squash wrote:
2020-09-04, 22:33
Are these addresses Tor nodes? Maybe somebody's attacking the site and they wanted to mask their identidy.
Curious that you suggested Tor first thing. is there something I should know about?

I adjusted a few things to monitor Tor exit traffic (which the Brazilian traffic has now been re-classified as, indeed) and it seems to all run bust on my firewall rules now, with no less than 370k connection attempts in the past 24 hours from Tor being blocked. Abusive, anyone? Once more underlining the very nature of traffic in that network, I guess.

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-09-08, 21:56

Moonchild wrote:
2020-09-08, 09:26
Curious that you suggested Tor first thing. is there something I should know about?

I adjusted a few things to monitor Tor exit traffic (which the Brazilian traffic has now been re-classified as, indeed) and it seems to all run bust on my firewall rules now
I've got no clue as to why Tor traffic has been hitting this place so hard. My guess of Tor was actually a humorous wild-posterior guess.

Maybe a bunch of Tor nodes in Brazil were compromised and sent to work in a DDoS attempt? (Maybe they were hacked by a virus called COVID-19.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-08, 21:59

Hahah.. if that is supposed to be a DDoS then they really need to scale it up a few hundred times. No, seems more likely upon further investigation that someone has been abusing the captive portal detection host from Tor for, what I guess, is a check if the internet could be reached. Sorry folks, that shit gets blocked now because you're not legit clients for that service.

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-09-08, 22:12

Moonchild wrote:
2020-09-08, 21:59
Hahah.. if that is supposed to be a DDoS then they really need to scale it up a few hundred times.
Maybe somebody thought that this site was a good target because it doesn't look super big and, to the layman, super professional.

But if you say that it's probably test connections, then perhaps it is after all.

Let's see if next time they attempt to connect via I2P... :lol:

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2020-09-09, 09:18

Moonchild wrote:
2020-09-05, 08:33
Tor users have no control over which exit node they end up using ...
I wouldn't bet on that. ;)