Brazil?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Locked
User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 28805
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Brazil?

Post by Moonchild » 2020-09-04, 11:14

So, i noticed a pretty big increase in traffic from Brazil to palemoon.org addresses, which is now dwarfing traffic from the USA... Is these something I should know about Brazil that I haven't heard of yet? Any Brazilians here care to enlighten me? :)
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

vannilla
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1380
Joined: 2018-05-05, 13:29

Re: Brazil?

Post by vannilla » 2020-09-04, 11:25

After all Pale Moon is a brazillion times better than other browsers!
Sorry... :oops:

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 28805
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: Brazil?

Post by Moonchild » 2020-09-04, 11:28

vannilla wrote:
2020-09-04, 11:25
After all Pale Moon is a brazillion times better than other browsers!
Sorry... :oops:
*slaps you with a large trout*
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1629
Joined: 2015-09-30, 23:02
Location: uk.

Re: Brazil?

Post by Moonraker » 2020-09-04, 13:10

Must be that nice brazillian air,,,or maybe it's carnival time :D :D
Xenial puppy linux 32-bit.

Pale moon 28.15.0

User avatar
The Squash
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 193
Joined: 2020-03-25, 19:31
Location: Beyond the Kuiper Belt

Re: Brazil?

Post by The Squash » 2020-09-04, 22:33

Are these addresses Tor nodes? Maybe somebody's attacking the site and they wanted to mask their identidy.
PYRAMID SCHEMES
THE RAIDS OF THE PHARAOHS' TOMBS

"A drama about the first organized crime groups -- a must-see." -- The New Porker
IN THEATERS NOW

Rated PG-13 -- for language, violence and immaturity that would make a 2-year-old wince.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 28805
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: Brazil?

Post by Moonchild » 2020-09-05, 08:33

I haven't bothered to check the logs yet. just noticed the statistics. Not really high priority since we can handle an extra million hits in 24 hours, easy.
As for Tor, unlikely. Tor users have no control over which exit node they end up using so would not be coming from one location.

I was just wondering if there was a Pale Moon buzz in Brazil I am unaware of or something.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 28805
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: Brazil?

Post by Moonchild » 2020-09-08, 09:26

The Squash wrote:
2020-09-04, 22:33
Are these addresses Tor nodes? Maybe somebody's attacking the site and they wanted to mask their identidy.
Curious that you suggested Tor first thing. is there something I should know about?

I adjusted a few things to monitor Tor exit traffic (which the Brazilian traffic has now been re-classified as, indeed) and it seems to all run bust on my firewall rules now, with no less than 370k connection attempts in the past 24 hours from Tor being blocked. Abusive, anyone? Once more underlining the very nature of traffic in that network, I guess.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
The Squash
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 193
Joined: 2020-03-25, 19:31
Location: Beyond the Kuiper Belt

Re: Brazil?

Post by The Squash » 2020-09-08, 21:56

Moonchild wrote:
2020-09-08, 09:26
Curious that you suggested Tor first thing. is there something I should know about?

I adjusted a few things to monitor Tor exit traffic (which the Brazilian traffic has now been re-classified as, indeed) and it seems to all run bust on my firewall rules now
I've got no clue as to why Tor traffic has been hitting this place so hard. My guess of Tor was actually a humorous wild-posterior guess.

Maybe a bunch of Tor nodes in Brazil were compromised and sent to work in a DDoS attempt? (Maybe they were hacked by a virus called COVID-19.)
PYRAMID SCHEMES
THE RAIDS OF THE PHARAOHS' TOMBS

"A drama about the first organized crime groups -- a must-see." -- The New Porker
IN THEATERS NOW

Rated PG-13 -- for language, violence and immaturity that would make a 2-year-old wince.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 28805
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: Brazil?

Post by Moonchild » 2020-09-08, 21:59

Hahah.. if that is supposed to be a DDoS then they really need to scale it up a few hundred times. No, seems more likely upon further investigation that someone has been abusing the captive portal detection host from Tor for, what I guess, is a check if the internet could be reached. Sorry folks, that shit gets blocked now because you're not legit clients for that service.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
The Squash
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 193
Joined: 2020-03-25, 19:31
Location: Beyond the Kuiper Belt

Re: Brazil?

Post by The Squash » 2020-09-08, 22:12

Moonchild wrote:
2020-09-08, 21:59
Hahah.. if that is supposed to be a DDoS then they really need to scale it up a few hundred times.
Maybe somebody thought that this site was a good target because it doesn't look super big and, to the layman, super professional.

But if you say that it's probably test connections, then perhaps it is after all.

Let's see if next time they attempt to connect via I2P... :lol:
PYRAMID SCHEMES
THE RAIDS OF THE PHARAOHS' TOMBS

"A drama about the first organized crime groups -- a must-see." -- The New Porker
IN THEATERS NOW

Rated PG-13 -- for language, violence and immaturity that would make a 2-year-old wince.

User avatar
gepus
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 549
Joined: 2017-12-14, 12:59

Re: Brazil?

Post by gepus » 2020-09-09, 09:18

Moonchild wrote:
2020-09-05, 08:33
Tor users have no control over which exit node they end up using ...
I wouldn't bet on that. ;)

Locked