forum logs me off once a while

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

forum logs me off once a while

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2020-06-12, 12:25

When I was working in my office at the institute, I was used to leave my computer (permanent IP) logged in for days or weeks, ditto the browser (PM), ditto several forums in various tabs.

Now that I am forced to be working at home on a laptop which gets a DHCP IP from a little router, I may switch off the computer once or twice per day, and re-enter the browser a few times. But even when I leave PM running, it occurs that sometimes the PM forum requires me to login again.

Note I am keeping usually two forums active (one is the PM forum), both phpBB-based. When I login, both recognise my username and password from the Saved Password but the PM forum login screen pre-loads the username and password, while the other phpBB forum "proposes" me the username in a floating window, and if I accept it loads the password. The same way of "proposing" goes with most other site (one pbWorks site shows the floating window with the proposed username displaced from the form input area).

Nothing dramatic, just curious to know the reason of these behaviours
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: forum logs me off once a while

Unread post by adesh » 2020-06-12, 13:54

You may be logged out due to your IP changing during the active session.

John connor

Re: forum logs me off once a while

Unread post by John connor » 2020-06-12, 15:37

About the saved login issue. In order for that to work as permanent as possible, you have to click the Remember me box next to the login in form.

About the username and password entry boxes. If this is Firefox I know there's a specific issue for it with phpBB and there's core code to change. But it sounds like you're using Pale Moon so it could have this same issue. Not sure. I'd have to do some testing on my part and it have to be done with XAMPP and Pale Moon portable as I never save passwords in the browser. Also note that each phpBB based forum can and will have its own core code changes and other things to make it their own. So just because one phpBB board does this or has these features doesn't mean the other will mirror that.