About the new board rules

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

RoestVrijStaal
Moonbather
Moonbather

About the new board rules

Post by RoestVrijStaal » 2020-01-22, 14:14

Today upon logging in, I've got a notification about the new board rules. Obviously reading those are important.

I've not much to complain about those, but a few rules need some clarifications:
We will never sell or disclose your e-mail address. (The only exception is disclosure for lawful investigation by the authorities re: abuse/criminal activities)
Authorities of which country? The country/countries (cloud!) of where the forum is hosted at? Sweden where the project owner (Moonchild) resides? The country/countries of the used IP-addresses of the member? The country filled in at the member's info page?

Countries differ in what are abuse/criminal activity. Some authorities won't like discussions about mitigations against HTTPS MITM (Kazakhstan anyone?), VPN and Tor.

Also this one:
This is not a democracy. You are in my house, and you are my guests.
Please behave yourself accordingly.
Very true about the governance of this site, but in whoes house are we partying now?

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: About the new board rules

Post by moonbat » 2020-01-22, 14:31

RoestVrijStaal wrote:
2020-01-22, 14:14
Very true about the governance of this site, but in whoes house are we partying now?
Just a reminder (that some people seem to need) that this is a privately hosted forum so references to free speech and (US) First Amendment are irrelevant here, and you follow the rules if you want to participate.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 4 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: About the new board rules

Post by Moonchild » 2020-01-22, 14:40

RoestVrijStaal wrote:
2020-01-22, 14:14
Authorities of which country? The country/countries (cloud!) of where the forum is hosted at? Sweden where the project owner (Moonchild) resides? The country/countries of the used IP-addresses of the member? The country filled in at the member's info page?
All of the above except the last point which is nonsense since it's in no way verifiable. To what level information is disclosed will be determined on a case-by-case basis; the exception is there because we do not want to obstruct justice. See also the general privacy policy applicable to our sites and services.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose