Free for all "off-topic" board?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Should we have a "wild west" off-topic board on this forum?

Poll ended at 2019-06-02, 20:13

Yes, create an "off-topic" board that has special rules of engagement.
47%
No, keep the forum focused on what it was set up for: Pale Moon/Basilisk/UXP and related topics.
53%

Total votes: 64

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Free for all "off-topic" board?

Unread post by Moonraker » 2019-05-30, 10:48

If we cannot keep it civil in a mere "discussion" thread about an off-topic board then how on earth will the actual board even survive.It's turned aggressive already. :crazy:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2019-05-30, 10:58

Moonraker wrote:
2019-05-30, 10:48
It's turned aggressive already. :crazy:
No, it hasn't - idiot. :D
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-05-30, 14:13

It is really sad that because of the latest conflict.. without anyone willing to go back a few steps which could have lead to a de-escalation instead of ending again with people angry and pissed - it was leading again to a long-time member to leave the board.

I guess it is about time that we all ask ourselves what is necessary to avoid such senseless escalations. It seems to be way too easy here to fall into the full-escalation trap. And with that.. i am sure nobody at all is happy at all!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-30, 15:07

Sajadi wrote:
2019-05-30, 14:13
it was leading again to a long-time member to leave the board.
Someone who had already pretty much made up their mind about that to begin with. Really, no. Their choice, their decision, it should not reflect on anything else.
Don't call it a senseless escalation because it wasn't, and no, there's no reason to suddenly change how we approach such things -- people come and go all the time, for various reasons. The forum may get a change this time as a result, but in general that is just the way it goes.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2019-05-30, 15:31

Moonchild wrote:
2019-05-30, 15:07
Don't call it a senseless escalation because it wasn't, and no, there's no reason to suddenly change how we approach such things -- people come and go all the time, for various reasons. The forum may get a change this time as a result, but in general that is just the way it goes.
All what i tried to say is to try to stop falling into the old escalation schematics - it can't be good if the overall tone turns more and more rough over time. This applies to everyone. To me who loves to criticize Mozilla, to everyone else opening topics and so on... :)

It is not only good for the internal mood - but if things are less escalating it offers to the outside who watches and then flames for example on Ghacks or elsewhere also less attack vectors. But if there is a constant and ever-repeating exchange of attack-and defense over and over again, this is the opposite of healthy ;)

I guess the right term is to be "more open and a bit more diplomatic" - It should never be in anyone's interest if because of whatever for reasons supporters turn into enemies. Just a small thing everyone should keep in mind. As this can change the overall outcome if you negotiate with third parties because of whatever for a topic or issue and of course also heated discussions or topics in general! :thumbup:
Last edited by Sajadi on 2019-05-30, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-30, 15:49

They won't or shouln't be able to read it and neither will new users with that status only normal regular users up and it will be clearly marked and explained how it works if it happens.

So don't worry!

As for handyman, I still don't understand why he flamed out like he did. I know I didn't do anything regarding him for at least a year and as I read every post on the forum and have done for years.. I dunno why he left. What he wrote was nicely phrased but under it it amounts to the same random ragequit others have done. Just less apperent rage but it was still there under the facade.

In any event, it seems he already made his decision and there was no going back for him no matter what any of us did. Why else have his own account deleted. Even if he was just mad he could have just taken a break and if he did not come back after a few years his account would be purged.. But nop. He baby'd out instead. But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake and the science gets done and you make a neat gun for the people who are still alive!

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2019-05-30, 20:36

CharmCityCrab wrote:
2019-05-30, 05:51
My suggestion would be that there be a subforum that allows non-PM related discussion, but where its limited to topics related to software, hardware, and technology- and that it would be moderated.

Essentially, I would like to recreate what we had in General Discussion before it given a more narrow focus. That was the best part of the forum.

What I don't really wanted to see is an area where people engage in possibly offensive flamewars about politics and whatever with no oversight.

There is a middleground to be found between the two polling options.
Amen to that! You hit the nail on the head CharmCityCrab. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-05-31, 04:59

There is a lot of opportunities for people from this forum to gather together for "free discutions" : create a facebook page, chat...etc.
E.g NTP has own chat room "#palemoon" on " irccloud" where he is the "master of puppets". Ask him to create another chat room for this purpose! :lol:
So I vote "no"
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-31, 05:32

As always, badnick, you don't know what you are talking about. I rarely have been on Pale Moon's irc channel for most of 2019. I don't know what "irc cloud" is but i assume it is some webclient. The channel is on the freenode network.

I largely stay in my own channel and no you are not invited. If you show up you shall be exterminated on sight. I will leave orders to that effect.

As for my role on the potental off topic board my authority will be confined to soley those three points I outlined in my perposed board description and nothing else. Other that that, everyone shall be on an equal footing.

Including my self.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-05-31, 06:03

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-05-31, 05:32
As always, badnick, you don't know what you are talking about. I rarely have been on Pale Moon's irc channel for most of 2019. I don't know what "irc cloud" is but i assume it is some webclient. The channel is on the freenode network.
As always , NTP binds other persons minor mistakes to show the world how „smart” he is.
2019-05-31, 05:32
I largely stay in my own channel and no you are not invited. If you show up you shall be exterminated on sight. I will leave orders to that effect.
You can put your channel in your ass because I’m not interested about :)
PM last/64

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-31, 06:27

Such a profane response. I didn't even call you a moron or anything. Though, it seems you want to continue some sort of conflict.

Some people ask me if I should be approching people and topics aggressively. A fair question which I now pose to you.

Also, for the record, I am smarter than most but I don't like to bring it up in that manner because it tends to piss people off in a way that doesn't serve anyone including my own intrests. I tend to focus on being right or more properly, correct. At the very least, technically.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-05-31, 07:47

2019-05-31, 06:27
Such a profane response. I didn't even call you a moron or anything. Though, it seems you want to continue some sort of conflict.

Also, for the record, I am smarter than most
You make a big confusion between terms. You are maybe a good profi in your branch wich I think is normal. There are a lot of people who are good at their branches. But that definitelly not means these people are automatically smart people. Or maybe you have great achievements in the branch about I don’t know?. Specialized media write about you? :wtf: (Like to say about Bill Gates or Steve jobs or others..?)
On the other hand, if somebody outside of the branch ask questions that not means this person is an idiot (that’s your behavior with people who ask questions)
And the so called „conflict” is continued by you. Each time I make an issue report or other posts you rush to offend me, even now at this thread.
So you are not a smart guy, but just a redneck as I said some time ago. :wave:
PM last/64

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-31, 08:07

I don't think you actually know what a redneck is.. I am not from the south nor am I some uneducated rural bumpkin or hillbilly. I have been using and learning about computers and technology since I was three and that was 32 years ago and it was more than just digdug, I can assure you.

I would put my 137 IQ (which anyone can tell is NOT largely allocated to the socal areas) up against your fragmented uninformed non-issue posts of irrelevance any day.

May I remind you that it is quite likely that without my contributions you likely would not have a Pale Moon in the form it is today let alone a multi-application Unified XUL Platform that works or a non-webextension infected add-ons manager not to even mention the Add-ons sites, software, or server.

There might not even be a Ryan, Travis, wicknix, ascrod, khronosschoty, FranklinDM and others if I had not paved the way for others to get involved here through example and pure determination.

My accomplishments should speak for them selves and there are many more that have been achieved in the past five years of nearly 100% day in and day out work I put in to everything I can help on. I don't need some fuckin' moron like you to question my intellect or skills. Someone who has contributed nothing but wasting my time.

You don't like me or agree with me, that's fine. I am quite used to that but do NOT ever underestimate me and what I can accomplish or assume a god damned thing about me.

For anyone else reading, yeah it happened again. Just go with it. It will be fine ;)
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2019-05-31, 08:45, edited 10 times in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2019-05-31, 08:12

Off-topic:
badnick wrote:
2019-05-31, 04:59
E.g NTP has own chat room "#palemoon" on " irccloud"
#palemoon is owned by MC and is solely for discussion about Pale Moon. Tobin is there very rarely if ever anymore.

IRCCloud is a cloud IRC service, not the server where the channel resides.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2019-05-31, 09:28

2019-05-31, 08:07
I don't think you actually know what a redneck is.. I am not from the south nor am I some uneducated rural bumpkin or hillbilly. .
I know I'm poor in english but what I know "redneck" is an uneducated person..no matter the location.

2019-05-31, 08:07
IMay I remind you that it is quite likely that without my contributions you likely would not have a Pale Moon in the form it is today let alone a multi-application Unified XUL Platform that works or a non-webextension infected add-ons manager not to even mention the Add-ons sites, software, or server.

There might not even be a Ryan, Travis, wicknix, ascrod, khronosschoty, FranklinDM and others if I had not paved the way for others to get involved here through example and pure determination.

My accomplishments should speak for them selves and there are many more that have been achieved in the past five years of nearly 100% day in and day out work I put in to everything I can help on.
You are not smart because you're kidding yourself about your work ( and also about the PM team work).
Because I am a little old on this forum and I I have strong stomach, your insults do not affect me too much. But what do you think about newcomers or potentially newcomers wich are not registered to the forum but they are reading from outside your answers.? Your behavior is not professional . Maybe you are held in your small group of known people but not by many others (clients) .Or maybe you don’t care to have more users and then for what this lot of work ,it’s just a hobby?. Keep in mind: using PM or other browser is not a question of life or death. So If your ideal is to be appreciated only by a small group of frends then go on in the same way.
PM last/64

Konrad
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Konrad » 2019-05-31, 09:44

Well said, badnick!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-31, 09:48

Professional? Clients? This isn't a business and you aren't a customer, this has been stated before. So, I'm the uneducated redneck and you been here for two years and know virtually nothing about anything.

What does "you are kidding yourself about your work" even mean? Are you unsuccessfully trying to imply nothing I have done has any meaning?

Would there even be a Pale Moon Team if I hadn't come along? I dunno but I tend to doubt it since the only person around before me save beta testers and forum moderators was Access2Godzilla who's only accomplishment was an as-is linux build and a crappy installer we abandoned.

There was just the Moonchild alone other than that. So you are also ignorant of basic history or denying great swaths of it to justify your continued irrelevance.

Great job. Maybe you can't see the broad impact I have personally had either directly or otherwise because the bulk of it was already set in motion and a lot was already established by 2017, when you showed up.

Try looking back at 2013. Also, because until certain elements started up I kept a lot of it to my self largely attributing it to just the Project but highlighting other people's when possible. I didn't start attributing a lot of what I did to my self beyond authoritative position titles until 2017 or so after I "quit" and became a free agent.

Also, Konrad, how is anything from that half-gibberish "well said"? Oh right, anti-Tobinism. Gotcha.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-31, 10:12

Off-topic:
badnick/tobin, please take any further personal arguments between you two OUT of this thread and into private messages.

Badnick: you're pushing the profanity boundaries as well. It's unnecessary use. Stop it or be kicked out for a cool-down period.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-31, 11:34

Off-topic:
Looks like I'll have to pull out the ban hammer anyway...
Sad, sad, sad.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2019-05-31, 13:56

Off-topic:
Guy(s),
Are you masochist ?
I don't know if MC likes his hammer but he knows how to use it.
So please use the private messages system.

I / We (?) hope constructive and productive discussion but you can be really tiring...

IF you like the hammer, take a sledge hammer, break little rocks during some hours and then come back.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.