Locking threads & relevant posts

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Locking threads & relevant posts

Unread post by gracious1 » 2018-09-19, 01:22

So, I posted a thread about Mozilla deprecating bookmark descriptions.
It seems like it got thrown off when someone posted "Who cares was Mozilla does?"

Well, I wanted to answer that. If someone suggests that my thread is irrelevant or inappropriate, I'd like an opportunity to explain myself.

The point of my thread wasn't just to bash Mozilla; it was also to praise PM for keeping little-known features that really make the browser especially useful. I explicitly did that in the last paragraph of my original post. I was actually going to reiterate that when I read how the thread was devolving, but then it was locked.

Frankly I think this was too quickly done. For honestly, if someone asks the relevance of my thread, I would like an opportunity to explain its relevance before it is locked. Perhaps it is a failure on my part to make the relevance to the Pale Moon community more clear in my original post, and I see now (with 20/20 hindsight) I should have picked a headline like "PM keeps bookmark descriptors that Mozilla deprecates" or somesuch. But again, I would have liked the opportunity to answer "Who cares?" when I post something that I think the PM community would care about.

tl;dr - So maybe when a thread seems irrelevant or inappropriate give the OP a chance to explain himself/herself before locking it. Maybe instead of asking "who cares?" ask "what is the point of your post to the PM community?". Maybe be less quick to lock threads as long there are not personal attacks. That's my point.

Peace out. Image

P.S. Not meant as a direct criticism of any one individual; I am using my particular experience to make a point.
Last edited by gracious1 on 2018-09-19, 01:41, edited 5 times in total.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Locking threads & relevant posts

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-19, 06:54

Or maybe you can not take offense to a thread being locked (when you saw yourself it was devolving...) where the first action you take is NOT to talk to staff and ask for it to be unlocked so you can have your say, but instead make a public post expressing your dismay, in effect telling us and the world that "we aren't doing our job moderating the forum in an acceptable way" (in your opinion, anyway). Why do you feel the need to publicly criticize? Are you suggesting that you can do a better job? Feel free to volunteer as a moderator in that case.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-09-19, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-22, 15:05

So, do you plan to unlock this topic ?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20439

Gracious1 was the first op, it would be nice that he/she is the last, getting the opportunity to write what he/she explained here ?

Thanks. :)
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-22, 18:37

That privilege has been squandered by making a huff.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite