Filtering forum topics

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Filtering forum topics

Unread post by mommabear » 2018-05-29, 14:59

Is there a way to filter out specific forum categories that really don't relate to what I am researching so that they won't appear in the list when I select new posts since my last visit?

For example: Pale Moon UXP alpha/beta or Pale Moon for Linux

I couldn't find anything in my user control panel or searching the forum except to subscribe or unsubscribe to a particular topic. My apologies if I missed it.
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Filtering forum topics

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-29, 18:19

Not exactly what you want, but maybe close, would be to subscribe to individual feeds for the forum sections that interest you.
You can subscribe to a specific section if you're on one of its pages.

Eg, to subscribe to General support, first navigate there: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=3.
While you're on its pages, Its feed will be offered both through the address bar feed button, and through Page Info > Feeds.

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2018-05-29, 21:02

Thank you for the suggestion coffeebreak. However that isn't quite what I'm looking for. If I subscribe to anything, I will get an email every time somebody comments in that section. "New Posts" brings up a list of topics (new or continuing conversations) that people are participating in. If the title looks like it could or does apply to my particular setup, then I will read it just to increase my knowledge of the workings of Pale Moon. I'm not a tester nor do I use Linux. So it would eliminate some scrolling through if there was some way I could block subjects like those from coming up in the first place. People are real busy especially in the UXP section lately and they are turning into nearly half of the results when I bring up the "New Posts" since my last visit.
Last edited by mommabear on 2018-05-29, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2018-05-30, 01:58

mommabear wrote: If I subscribe to anything, I will get an email every time somebody comments in that section.

No emails.
Subscribing to a feed (rss) is distinct from subscribing through a forum account. You don't even need to be logged in to use it. It basically uses your bookmarks (unless you use a dedicated feed reader).

Just for an example...
To subscribe to a feed for General support while on this thread's (Filtering forum topics) page:

Either click the rss button in the address bar
feeds-urlbar.png
Or open Page Info > Feeds.
feeds-pageinfo.png
Clicking on the feed to which you want to subscribe opens an intermediate page like this:
gensupport-subscribe-feed.png
At this point you can simply bookmark that page - its content will be constantly updated.
Or you can subscribe to the feed, which creates a folder in your bookmarks to receive new posts as they're made:
library-gensupport-feed.png

EDIT:
This thread has been moved from General support to the Forum and website section of the forum
(https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=17).

The new url for the thread itself is: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19284.

What's written above about subscribing to General support depended on the old urls, so in its new location this thread won't offer that feed, but rather a feed to Forum and website.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2018-05-30, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.