Frequent auto-logout on Forum

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Frequent auto-logout on Forum

Unread post by adesh » 2018-03-29, 07:08

Hey, it never happened before, but today forum is logging me out like every five minutes. I generally use my personal network to browse this website without any issues. This time I am on some other network and Internet connectivity seems fine with respect to other websites (logged-in and without). The only thing of note is that this network has two public IPs, so my computer IP generally changes randomly. Can this be the cause? If yes, will you please try adjusting forum software settings, or provide any workaround? And like I said, rest of the world seems to function without issues, it's only the forum.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Frequent auto-logout on Forum

Unread post by Admin » 2018-03-29, 07:58

Nothing has changed on the server side in that respect. If it worked before it should still work unless something changed locally for you.
When you log in, make sure to tick the "remember me" box.

If your public IP changes randomly the forum may fail the IP security check. It's already set very leniently (B-class subnet) and won't be adjusted to "no security", because replay session hijacking is a real thing. Sorry.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-03-29, 08:23

Thanks for the info, Admin! Yes, I had remember me box un-ticked, so that may be a factor (but logout are random, not timed).
Anyway, nothing major, I'll just use forum on trusted network in my home where I still haven't face this issue.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2018-03-29, 08:42

Ticking that box does several things like setting a secure cookie -- and it may prevent you being logged out even if your IP changes.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2018-03-29, 08:54

Thank you! I'll then make use of "remember me" box to solve the issue.