[Solved] Yes. Pale Moon main page *was* down!

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

lyceus

[Solved] Yes. Pale Moon main page *was* down!

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-12-27, 02:09

EDIT: It seems that the 14 hours outrage is done. Pale Moon website works normal now.

This is a reminder in case that you are looking for some help in this issue.

It seems that iPage closed the Website for some reason. So if you need the links for download or consult the main help pages, please head to Annoucement forum and check my posts with this label. I do this for avoid a flood of duplicate posts.

Download help
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1828

Vital website pages
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1829

Lobocursor

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [Solved] Yes. Pale Moon main page *was* down!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-28, 12:08

The outage was caused by a "happy holidays" DoS attack on palemoon.org, to which the hosting provider rightly responded by suspending the account temporarily to limit impact on other sites on the same server. I'm working on catching any future requests and blacklisting abusive IPs through cloudflare. Eventually I'll have to find a better solution for both the website and the forum, since just "normal" traffic and the increase of it is apparently not enough for "modern internet" and you need contingencies for people who apparently like to ruin other people's holidays when they can. Instead of spending that energy on improving their own situation... Color me confused about that mentality.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-12-28, 16:41

It's the classic "troll+lulz" behavior, as you know that they like to collect "defeated" websites for showcase in their group websites. More ruined websites = more "renown". :P and who knows? Are they sons of the ... Grinch? :)

I vote for a "mini post" with all the direct links to downloads and some help pages as PDF. Improving the dirt and quick solution I made.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-12-28, 21:16

direct links won't work as they change with each release and sometimes inbetween releases.
google cached content is a bad solution. people can also wait until a site is back up. also it will be a lot more work to maintain

troll + lulz is not a reason to break the law. people don't realize that DoS attacks are criminal activity I guess.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite