Question for start.me users regarding column behavior?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Question for start.me users regarding column behavior?

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-01-22, 18:46

I have been noticing since the new "2018" start.me changes on 1-19-18 that assuming you will have multiple columns (which I assume would be the case for everyone) that other than column one if I leave the page for a while and later return to the start.me page that columns 2-4 repeatedly collapse the modules and then re-render (expand again) the modules multiple times and it generally impacts more for the columns toward the right so that columns 2 might collapse all modules and render (expand) again once but columns 3 and/or 4 might do this same thing 2 to 4 times sometimes.

I never experienced this kind of behavior before the "2018" changes which kind of annoying to see the modules collapse and then re-render (expand) again multiple times increasing the frequency of times apparently the more columns that exit.

I wanted to check to see if any other start.me users were experiencing this same behavior before I bring this up with the start.me blog.

In the past (prior to "2018" changes) none of this would happen, the page would appear as had when last visited without this repeated action for columns toward the right of the page.

ADDENDUM: As of now (1:30PM PST) the last 3 columns are just doing an entire refresh one time and not all the time --- makes me wonder if they are making changes on-the-fly. :think: :idea:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-01-22, 21:31, edited 3 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

michieldewit

Re: Question for start.me users regarding column behavior?

Unread post by michieldewit » 2018-01-23, 16:13

Hi! Michiel here from start.me. Would you be able to create a short screencast video to show me what's going on?

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-01-25, 06:15

Not really possible --- I never know when this random behavior will occur (it is extremely inconsistent and hence difficult to capture).

Here are a few screen-shots I've been able to capture which over the past 5 days has taken some time to accomplish as it is very difficult to catch since it occurs randomly and is very momentary (which is not easily done as this behavior is extremely transient and as I stated is totally random where there may be a hiatus of time between occurrences consisting of perhaps hours).
On rare occasions this behavior will occur after returning to the start.me tab:
2-4 columns reloaded when returning to tab.png
On other rare occasions this same behavior will randomly occur just staying the the start.me page:
2-4 columns reloading even just staying on page tab.png
and sometimes this oddity will even occur when loading the page:
collapsing modules.png
but of course would be even more rare because I leave the start.me page up more of the time than I'm starting/loading the page (even more so now since it takes so long to load in the first place).
Previous to the "2018 upgrade" none of this ever occurred.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-25, 20:34

It appears that the "ystart.me" that was added to the webpage at some point has some level of an impact on this behavior --- allowing this request (via NoScript which had been blocking this request) doesn't totally eliminate the behavior entirely but does appear to help reduce this behavior fortunately (at least so far... anyway :think:)....
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2018-03-25, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-03-26, 11:00

Ultimately, only the people at start.me can do anything about this -- it's a service external to any Pale Moon development.
Please contact them? Send Michiel de Wit (above) a message? He's the CTO.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2018-03-26, 14:37

Moonchild wrote:Ultimately, only the people at start.me can do anything about this -- it's a service external to any Pale Moon development.
Please contact them? Send Michiel de Wit (above) a message? He's the CTO.
Thank you for the information. I was curious first of all at the time of the initial post whether or not any other start.me users were getting the same results I was getting before I contacted start.me which is why I stated the following in my post:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:I wanted to check to see if any other start.me users were experiencing this same behavior before I bring this up with the start.me blog.
I have since been in contact on several occasions with start.me support as well as Michiel de Wit specifically... This followup post was only intended to be informative for the benefit of other start.me users as to what I've discovered since that time in the event this may be helpful to them.