Planned downtime, forum upgrade.

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Planned downtime, forum upgrade.

Unread post by Admin » 2017-12-20, 20:55

We'll be taking the forum down for extended downtime this weekend to perform db maintenance and we'll be upgrading the forum to phpBB 3.2.

Since the new board version will invalidate all themes, the custom themes available on the forum right now will be lost -- we'll work on re-implementing at least a dark theme after the upgrade but it may take a little time.

Planned downtime: Fri Dec 22nd 18:00 UTC to Sat Dec 23rd ??:??
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Planned downtime, forum upgrade.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-23, 12:39

Maintenance has been completed -- we decided to stay with 3.1 after all since the upgrade proved to break way too much functionality we rely on for smooth operation of the forum.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-12-23, 14:16

Could you please check if everything is ok with email notifications?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-23, 19:04

JustOff wrote:Could you please check if everything is ok with email notifications?
Nothing has changed in that respect.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-12-23, 19:15

That's weird, I have not received a single email notification since yesterday :cry:

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-12-23, 19:24

Moonchild wrote:Maintenance has been completed -- we decided to stay with 3.1 after all since the upgrade proved to break way too much functionality we rely on for smooth operation of the forum.

What are you guys using that would break 3.2? I have at least 25 extensions and I was able to use 3.2. Although, I made tests in Xampp prior to migrating and had to update several extensions.

What kind of database maintenance do you have to do?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-23, 21:35

JustOff wrote:That's weird, I have not received a single email notification since yesterday :cry:
That's probably because the forum has been unavailable?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-24, 00:00

Moonchild wrote:Maintenance has been completed -- we decided to stay with 3.1 after all since the upgrade proved to break way too much functionality we rely on for smooth operation of the forum.
I don't know how you feel about it, but I actually find that to be good news! Thanks for letting us know. :thumbup:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-12-24, 09:00

Moonchild wrote:
JustOff wrote:That's weird, I have not received a single email notification since yesterday :cry:
That's probably because the forum has been unavailable?
Today I received two new PMs and I also subscribed to this topic, but there were no email notifications at all. Am I the only one who has this problem now? :crazy:

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2017-12-24, 11:18

I've also not been receiving emails as of late.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-25, 12:39

I just checked and verified that e-mail delivery is being made from the forum to our mail server, so I'm not sure what could be wrong.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-25, 15:40

OK, so there is a problem: for some reason the notification e-mails are being queued up, but not being sent. Mails have been queued since Dec 21st which is BEFORE the downtime. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm investigating.

dtoxic
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by dtoxic » 2017-12-25, 16:20

Moonchild wrote:OK, so there is a problem: for some reason the notification e-mails are being queued up, but not being sent. Mails have been queued since Dec 21st which is BEFORE the downtime. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm investigating.
Yeap that's the date i keep getting email notifications constantly, hope you can sort it out :)
Windows 7 SP1 X64
Windows 10 LTSC X64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-25, 16:23

wait, so.. the queue keeps trying to send the first batch?

I'll purge all queued notifications then, see if that helps.

dtoxic
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by dtoxic » 2017-12-26, 07:54

Moonchild wrote:wait, so.. the queue keeps trying to send the first batch?

I'll purge all queued notifications then, see if that helps.
So far so good, ill drop back here to report, but for a whole day i did not get anymore emails.
Windows 7 SP1 X64
Windows 10 LTSC X64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-26, 10:21

I did a quick test and it seems to work now; I've also changed some settings to try and avoid the obviously-broken feature. I think it broke because we actually had more outbound notifications than the batch threshold (which is what this queueing system is actually supposed to be FOR). Since we have our own mail server, batch size doesn't matter.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-12-26, 17:55

Thank you, it seems now all is back to normal.