"Edit Password" is hard to find. Topic is solved

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

gospelmidi

"Edit Password" is hard to find.

Unread post by gospelmidi » 2017-10-31, 04:04

When one logs in from a link sent from Pale Moon, it is not self-evident where one can enter a new password. Enter a new password under "User Profile" is misleading and not sufficient. There is no "User Profile" per se. There is a "Profile", but it does not lead to editing one's password. There is a "User Control Panel," but that requires additional directions. To edit one's password, do this:

User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Account Settings

Better yet would be an additional link in the Pale Moon email reply to "Forgot Password" requests. In addition to the verification link and the temporary password, why not also add to the verification link a redirect to User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Account Settings? That would make changing the temporary password to a user-supplied password a seamless operation, requiring little or no effort by the user.

Thank you for attending to this minor nuisance to users.

John connor

Re: "Edit Password" is hard to find.

Unread post by John connor » 2017-10-31, 11:36

I use the same forum software with two different sites. I've never had any complaints like this myself. I guess the E-mail could be changed to contain a link to

Code: Select all

https://forum.palemoon.org/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=reg_details

Moonchild, the E-mail php file is in language/en/email.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-31, 14:13

I don't see why this needs to be complained about. It's in a logical place in the user control panel. It belongs under your profile, not any of the other tabs.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gospelmidi

Unread post by gospelmidi » 2017-11-01, 15:36

Moonchild, I'm not complaining. I'm offering assistance with the "New Password" email that Pale Moon Forum sends. The Pale Moon Forum "New Password" email says that one can change his password under his User Profile. There is no such thing. There is Profile and there is User Control Panel. Profile does not have a password change routine. User Control Panel does, but it is not immediately apparent. To edit one's password, one must use this sequence:

Username (in the upper right hand corner) >
User Control Panel > Profile > Edit Account Settings

That instruction should be in the "New Password" email that Pale Moon Forum sends. Otherwise, a NEW USER of Pale Moon Forum may just give up when he cannot change his password by accessing Profile.

I hope you will consider doing this minor revision to your "New Password" email. It would save new Pale Moon Forum users a headache... which I now have since a few minutes ago.