Display of UserAgent String

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Display of UserAgent String

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-10-29, 19:33

Newbie here. On the MozillaZine forum, poster's useragent string is displayed below their post. Is there a setting I'm missing to see this string in the PM forum?
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Display of UserAgent String

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-29, 19:53

We don't do that here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-10-29, 20:07

Moonchild wrote:We don't do that here.
OK. I found that it was useful when trying to help others with problems possibly related to OS or FX versions.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-10-29, 20:15

Users can post that if it is needed
Also not enforce this, increase the user privacy

redblade7

Unread post by redblade7 » 2017-10-29, 21:15

LAR Grizzly wrote:Newbie here. On the MozillaZine forum, poster's useragent string is displayed below their post. Is there a setting I'm missing to see this string in the PM forum?
To see your user agent with an analysis, try http://www.useragentstring.com

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-29, 21:33

dark_moon wrote:Also not enforce this, increase the user privacy
Not just that, it also prevents the potential for some nasty behavior between users based on just what they happened to be using to post on the forum. Countless occurrences on MozillaZine where people were being bashed for displaying certain UA strings on their posts (although a lot of that was the "die hard FF fans" bashing non-FF users -- likely less of a risk here ;) but still. No need to set people up for that kind of bad experience).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

thedbz2k

Unread post by thedbz2k » 2017-12-01, 00:38

Moonchild wrote:
dark_moon wrote:Also not enforce this, increase the user privacy
Not just that, it also prevents the potential for some nasty behavior between users based on just what they happened to be using to post on the forum. Countless occurrences on MozillaZine where people were being bashed for displaying certain UA strings on their posts (although a lot of that was the "die hard FF fans" bashing non-FF users -- likely less of a risk here ;) but still. No need to set people up for that kind of bad experience).
I joined a lot of forums in my life, but I don't know if I never joined the right ones. I never really seen any forum force you to have your user agent showing expect MozillaZine :think:?

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-01, 02:50

Moonchild wrote: Countless occurrences on MozillaZine where people were being bashed for displaying certain UA strings on their posts (although a lot of that was the "die hard FF fans" bashing non-FF users -- likely less of a risk here ;) but still. No need to set people up for that kind of bad experience).
Much gratitude. :silent:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-28, 10:09

People will bash because they can.
Often people bash at mozillazine because the user isn't forthright with what browser they are using; like a PM user asking for support, acting as if they are a FF user (& not that there is anything wrong with that - well, at least in my book).
And some people as simply asses (& not to denigrate those 4-legged, hoofed beasts).

Anyhow, & in particular during a transition time, like going from 27 to 28, I would think displaying UA's would be of benefit.

(And guess what mine will say, 99% of the time ;-).)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-06-28, 11:42

I have four computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops). I have 2 hard drives for every computer (one of my desktop tower computers has 3 hard drives). With at least 2 hard drives for every computer, I load one hard drive with a linux distro and the other hard drive is loaded with Windows 7. This is how I dual boot linux and windows. Linux Mint is my default linux distro and Windows 7 is my backup operating system.

On my linux hard drives, there are 3 browsers installed. They are in order of preference:

Linux Pale Moon (default)
Linux SeaMonkey (backup)
Linux Firefox (only used if something doesn't work with Pale Moon or SeaMonkey)

On my Windows 7 hard drives, I have 4 browsers installed. They are in order of preference:

Windows Pale Moon (default)
Windows SeaMonkey (backup)
Internet Explorer 11
Firefox

I'm a registered member on Mozillazine. I visit the Mozillazine site everyday to check out the SeaMonkey and Firefox forums. I check out the info for these browsers since they are installed on all of my four computers. But I'm "hidden" on Mozillazine because some of the diehard FF &SM users will bash anyone using a different browser other than FF or SM because they can see that user's user agent. I got bashed and learned real quick to keep a low profile and hence, the reason why I'm "hidden" on Mozillazine. If someone is a registered member on Mozillazine, they can look up my Night Wing user name as a member, but my information is lacking (like the last time I visited Mozillazine) because I'm "hidden" on there.

The bashers might be very smart people, but some of the diehard bashers lack common sense. If they see a different browser user agent other than Firefox or SeaMonkey, then it's "basher time" for them. In my personal opinion, this is how the bashers get their "kicks" so to speak. They don't realize (or just don't care) Firefox is installed as a backup browser and some people, like me, are just looking for info because Firefox is installed on their computer(s). In my case, I don't run Firefox, but since it is installed on all of my four computers, information wise, I have to keep current with it. Because of the bashers on Mozillazine, information wise, I take from Mozillazine; but I don't give anything back (help) in return and this is the direct result of the bashers on there.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-28, 13:57

therube wrote:People will bash because they can.
And by not giving them anything to bash about, we avoid it.

Is there any particular reason why you revived this 6 month old thread?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-06-28, 14:49

Is there any particular reason why you revived this 6 month old thread?
Anyhow, & in particular during a transition time, like going from 27 to 28, I would think displaying UA's would be of benefit.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-06-28, 15:56

therube wrote:Anyhow, & in particular during a transition time, like going from 27 to 28, I would think displaying UA's would be of benefit.
No, it won't. The fact remains that what people post on the forum with may not be what they post about. It'll just lead to people assuming things.