better Emoticons Topic is solved

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

stravinsky

better Emoticons

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-10-19, 16:48

This is a request for better emoticons. Not fancy, just more standard.

The ones here are more custom, but IMHO, are less expressive than the standard emoticons set.
If possible, it would be better if we have the standard emoticons in this forum.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: better Emoticons

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-10-19, 17:32

Quick search shows there's certainly no shortage of other smilie/emoticon sets for phpBB forum software - but I think the general style and compact size of the current set is about the best I have seen - so my vote would be for more varieties in the same style. :) Even better if they were just one or two points smaller so they did not disturb line spacing when placed within body of text?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-19, 18:25

The set used is standard for phpBB. Not sure what you mean with "the standard emoticons set", but if you are thinking from instant messengers, they aren't "standard" either between the different clients :P
I already added a few more than the default set that are in the same style as the phpBB set like :tired: :relaxed: etc. I don't think there's much if anything wrong with the style.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pnume

Unread post by Pnume » 2012-10-19, 18:32

I like these a lot.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-19, 18:56

Pnume wrote:I like these a lot.
Yuck.
Also: those won't work on light background
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2012-10-20, 01:26

All emoticons are hideous. This place is about technical stuff not some inane chat room. <smiley face sticking tongue out>

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-10-20, 01:57

I have a license for the Dragon Brothers icons in case you want to add animate dancing dragon guys in replace of these plain vanilla icons. ;)

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-10-20, 03:12

i am talking about these. IMO, they look better and more natural.

and some that are missing here, and which i would like on this forum:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2012-10-20, 03:53

I just returned from the kitchen with more popcorn. :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-20, 09:13

lobocursor wrote:I have a license for the Dragon Brothers icons in case you want to add animate dancing dragon guys in replace of these plain vanilla icons. ;)
Show me! ;)

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2012-10-20, 10:58

My two cents, I prefer the natural looking ones too like on Doom9. The current ones do look a little egg or pear shaped

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-20, 11:33

The problem using smilies made by third parties is that they are either (1) not free or (2) are free but require some sort of link/banner/whatever to be placed on the forum website. This is why I stuck with the default set, and a few extensions to that set in the same style that are public domain and have no strings attached.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-10-20, 12:05

So the emoticons i linked to are not free ? i thought they would be, as these are found a lot on other forums.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-10-20, 12:11

I am OK with the present set of smilies, this is a discussion forum not a chat box, they are used to add emotion, or clarification to a post, all that is needed. 8-)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-10-20, 12:13

@ stravinsky: Am I being thick - I can't see a link in either of your posts above? "Alluded to" maybe but no link? :problem: Not that I'm keen on any change!

PS. ....and there is at least a part of me that agrees with sIDcORK's heartfelt cry too - emoticons don't always sit well with the more serious technical stuff.
Last edited by Blacklab on 2012-10-20, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2012-10-20, 12:19

The current set is fine with maybe a few additions in the same style if some freebies are available. :)

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-10-20, 13:15

Blacklab wrote:@ stravinsky: Am I being thick - I can't see a link in either of your posts above? "Alluded to" maybe but no link? :problem: Not that I'm keen on any change!

PS. ....and there is at least a part of me that agrees with sIDcORK's heartfelt cry too - emoticons don't always sit well with the more serious technical stuff.

posted here :
stravinsky wrote:i am talking about these. IMO, they look better and more natural.

and some that are missing here, and which i would like on this forum:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-20, 13:35

Blacklab wrote:PS. ....and there is at least a part of me that agrees with sIDcORK's heartfelt cry too - emoticons don't always sit well with the more serious technical stuff.
Look, people. If the current set is considered "poor" and the question is even raised if it's even desired for the "more technical stuff" i can always just remove the feature overall.
I personally think it's silly to consider it a "heartfelt cry" that "graphical smileys" are "improper" for "more technical subjects" - if you don't want them there, don't use them? :P

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-20, 13:38

Also the "linked" emoticons are hotlinked from another forum (tomshardware.com)... you think I can just go and nab whatever graphics they have on another forum to use for my own? No.
Note tomshardware.com : Copyright © 1999-2012 Bestofmedia Group. All Rights Reserved. so certainly NOT OK to just grab.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-10-20, 14:10

Apologies seem to be in order? As I have said twice I like the current set and enjoy using them myself when I consider it to be appropriate. If "heartfelt cry" was the wrong phrase to use when describing sIDcORK's pretty forthright view on the subject -then I can only apologise. Obviously nobody is forcing anyone to use emoticons and sIDcORK or any other member can ignore the feature entirely as they wish. Please do not remove the feature entirely. :)