Website and services sustainability. Would you donate?

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Would you donate to make and keep *.palemoon.org completely ad-free?

Poll ended at 2017-05-12, 17:53

Yes, I would, and I am able to (and willing to do so in the future).
43%
Yes, I would, but I don't have the money to spare. I don't want ads, though.
12%
Yes, I would, don't have the money, so will disable my ad blocker instead.
29%
No, I would not, and prefer to keep ad-supporting. I will disable my ad blocker.
14%
No, I would not, and I don't want ads either. (Boo!)
2%

Total votes: 51

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Website and services sustainability. Would you donate?

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-05-14, 16:57

I will say this one last time because people cannot seem see all my words. So, please anyone point out where I have said that supporting Pale Moon in a productive fashion means it has to be only in the form of a cash donation? All I ever said was those who do nothing to help in any fashion are freeloading off those who do so. What Charm stated he has done to help I believe you will see me stating as one of the non-monetary ways to contribute.

Please go back and read my posts. Tell me how many time I wrote, "if one does nothing at all to help." Count the times I made references to non-momentary contributions or used the term time/effort. The only negative thing I may have said was that new users to the browser no longer contributed as much its being sustainable as much as they create more demands on Moonchild. What I did say is telling your friends about Pale Moon was not much help. I also said not to stop doing it.

But go ahead and brand me any way you like. I am sorry Charm got a big bug up his butt and I hope he likes Vivaldi. I looked at it and felt differently. Make no mistake, Vivaldi is for profit software and will treat its users as such. I saw nothing on their site about privacy and data collection. As far as I can tell Vivaldi is basically Chrome with lipstick and intended to be an ego stroker for its creator and, more importantly, a cash cow for him on the backs of users. I doubt he will ask for donations of any sort. I do know he has Bing as the default browser to generate revenue, he says so. I hope Charm calms down and comes back, not because I care at all what he does nor what names he wants to call me but because it was not my intention to cause Moonchild to lose any users.

In keeping with my love for crunching numbers, here are some interesting factoids. According to Moonchild there are somewhere between 500,000 and 1,000,000 users of Pale Moon. According to the the main Forum Index page this site has 6,204 members. I would love to reach out to majority of users for donations or to turn of their ad blockers here. I would do it a bit differently but using the same facts. I had expected the relatively few P M users who post or only read here to be a bit more open minded. But everybody reacts differently. The goals would remain the same, to "guilt" them into donating. Forget about the term freeload for a minute and think about this. Pale Moon is not the same as any other browser out there. It is not because of how it works or that it is fairly customizable etc. What makes it unique is it is not collecting our data, it is not trying to convert us into cash cows and it tries to help us prevent other sites from doing so. This alone makes it one of the most valuable pieces of software I use. But there is a downside to making this sort of browser, very few people want to partner with this philosophy and it means Moonchild will never sell we the users out to Google and all the rest of them who want us to be their cash cows. I do not know how anybody else who uses Pale Moon feels about all of this, but it is one of the primary reasons why I support the project. It is also why I want to see Pale Moon persist over time.

So forgive me if I cannot fathom why those who are not able to donate a few dollars, lack the skills to be helpers on these forums or cannot code should refuse to do the absolute least thing possible to help which is to allow the ads on this site. I think its clear there is almost no chance of this causing one problems with malware. I do not understand why users cannot see the reasons why they should chip in somehow to help keep Pale Moon going. If we take Moonchild at his word, $2 is enough to help in terms of a cash donation. I may be financially OK because I am now old and retired, but I can remember days of living on brown rice and peanut butter sold in 1 gallon cans. Even then I would have found a way to scrounge up $2 for a worthy cause. But if you cannot afford even that I get it, but then why can't you allow the ads here? I don't get that one at all. Doing nothing in this case is the text book definition of freeloading. I am sorry if that disturbs anybody.

My dad used to tell me all the time when I acted out of spite (like some here seem to be doing) that I was cutting off my nose to spite my face. Charm, if you stop using Pale Moon, it won't hurt me, it wont have a material affect on the Pale moon user base, it wont deprive the project of material revenue (unless you secretly are a big donor). While the forum may lose somebody who can help others, that only hurts those other folks who won't get your help. What you lose is whatever benefits this browser offered you. If these were so little that my words were sufficient to make you cease using it, or that the fact that Moonchild said he could at least understand my point of view even though he did not wish to go down that road did it, then this your choice.

What most amazed me about my journey through this thread is how few people acknowledge what makes this browser worthwhile for those who use it. They did not acknowledge the work it takes, the effort made by Moonchild etc. I am not worried about 1,000s or 10,000s of Pale Moon user walking away because of my words. I would almost bet there are more folks who are now motivated to help in whatever way they can than there are folks kicking this browser to the curb. I hope most of them can do so with cash contribution, but I am happy with whatever they can do as long as it is not nothing at all. And you know what doing nothing at all means to me :)

In the end, users are either helping to carry the weight of Pale Moon or they are just coming along for the free ride because Moonchild is way to nice about things. The danger is that the second group overwhelms the first. Just looking at those people who have contributed by donated whatever cash they can afford over the years and the project collapses from lack of money, how do you think these folks will feel about those who offered nothing at all, not even viewing ads here? Please understand that even though Moonchild provides us Pale Moon free of charge and free of revenue generating crap, that does mean it is our right to have it.

@Giraffe who wrote;
On a different point, CharmCityCrab does have one good point: make people feel wanted/respected/loved even and they will feel almost a need to donate to PM.
I donated a couple of weeks ago but, had I seen the term "freeloader" anywhere /before/ that I probably wouldn't have done.
Having read through all of this and the other thread and so having more understanding of what's going ob, I might well make another donation at some time.
I used the term freeloader, Moonchild did not. But I am confused by what you wrote above. You stated you likely would not have donated had you seen me use the word freeloader. But then having seen it you also say you might make another donation in the future. Why would you do this unless my points, however offensively you may have reacted to the my terminology, must have struck a chord? Go ahead and hate me all you want, but please follow up on making that the donation some time. And thank you for having donated in the past, please keep up the good work.

Moonchild tries to make people feel wanted/respected/loved to solicit donations and ad views as well as donated time and effort from users. If this approach alone was sufficient, this thread would not exist. I looked at it an saw a request for help. I am a selfish person and an asshole because I want to be able to use Pale Moon for years to come. I wish every single user of Pale Moon were as much of a selfish asshole as I am.

In keeping with my last few posts I will end with a song. R.I.P Lowell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWEUPB5XHjE
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2017-05-14, 17:32

Do you plan to keep posting "one last time" until you've convinced everyone to keep their ad blocker on and never donate to Pale Moon?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-05-14, 18:27

The thing with composing posts of that sort is that people will get bored after the first paragraph and it just turns into a waffling group of nonsense.
We dont want novels to be posted and the nature of the rant is both boring and resignatory.

The more you post the more you push users away.
Does waterfox or seamonkey ask for donations for example.
Why ask for donations now when the browser has been operational for years.?...hmmmm.
:thumbup:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-05-14, 18:39

TwoTankAmin wrote:I am sorry Charm got a big bug up his butt and I hope he likes Vivaldi. I looked at it and felt differently.
I am using Vivaldi right now as I type this, and, kind of amusingly, Vivaldi loads it much faster than Pale Moon. To be fair, it's not a 1 to 1 comparison, because I am using UBlock Origin on Vivaldi and used Ad-Block Latitude on Pale Moon. I'm not saying that Latitude is slower that UBO, I'm just mentioning that to be fair to Pale Moon about the speed issue (Could be the extensions rather than the browsers. I'd have to do a like set of extensions test to be sure. And speed isn't everything anyway.).

Overall, I would say that Pale Moon and Vivaldi have different pluses and minuses from each other. Both cater to some degree to people who like a high degree of customization and user-control relative to the larger browsers, although they achieve it in different ways and to different effects in terms of what you can specifically get them to do. Vivaldi is better on web compatibility, Pale Moon is better on user privacy, etc.. Pale Moon offers extensions that can do more things in terms of tapping into the APIs, but Vivaldi is 100% compatible with the Chrome web store (At least it seems to be in my very limited experience with it), so it has more overall extensions, and Vivaldi has a few more menu options so you can do some of what you can do with Pale Moon theming by using UI toggles within the VIvaldi browser itself. Some people like Big Macs, some people like Whoppers (Both fast-food hamburgers from competing companies, for those who are from a country where they aren't sold).

I wouldn't even be reading what you're typing at this point if my decision to switch to Vivaldi was final. There'd be no point. But it's getting a shot as my lead browser it wouldn't have gotten if I hadn't gotten involved in this discussion.
I saw nothing on their site about privacy and data collection.
Here:

https://vivaldi.com/privacy/browser/

I'm not real happy with it as a privacy policy, but they do *have* a privacy policy. :)
As far as I can tell Vivaldi is basically Chrome with lipstick
Well, it uses the Blink/Webkit engine, but the UI modifications you can make are substantial, as are the changes you can make in how the browser handles things other than rendering (i.e. how tabs work and such). I've got a file menu, all the browser buttons I'm accustomed to, etc.. I don't consider this a Chrome clone because Chrome is intentionally minimalistic and tries to limit your control over it's appearance and functionality, whereas Vivaldi is written for people who want to really dig into submenus and dictate a lot of functionality, appearance, and so on and so forth.

When I left Firefox (Way before the Australius exodus, I left before Firefox hit it's largest marketshare), it was because I didn't like it's UI changes, but I saw nothing with "my" UI, so I just went with Chrome, since that was what Firefox was trying to be anyway. Later I found Pale Moon where I could customize the UI with themes and options and make it what I wanted, so I switched to that. When thought about that way, given what my priorities are, and that I can generate somewhat similar UIs on both Pale Moon and VIvaldi... I mean, that's what I'm in it for primarily beyond the obvious stuff like ad-blocks and other extensions.
I do know he has Bing as the default browser to generate revenue, he says so.
I'm using DuckDuckGo. I understand defaults, but doesn't almost every browser pick a weird default to generate money? Pale Moon happens to have the same default as I want to use, but I fix that in about 5 seconds on most browsers, just as we kept telling everyone who complained about Pale Moon switching from Google to DuckDuckGo- if people wanted Google, they just had to take 5 seconds and get Google and never think about it again. Ditto when Firefox went with Yahoo.

My dad used to tell me all the time when I acted out of spite (like some here seem to be doing) that I was cutting off my nose to spite my face. Charm, if you stop using Pale Moon, it won't hurt me, it wont have a material affect on the Pale moon user base, it wont deprive the project of material revenue (unless you secretly are a big donor). While the forum may lose somebody who can help others, that only hurts those other folks who won't get your help. What you lose is whatever benefits this browser offered you.
Your paragraph about cutting off my nose to spite my face was exactly my thinking about why I didn't actually uninstall Pale Moon, and didn't make a grand pronouncement that I was never using it again. I have decided to seriously try other browsers as my default and see if they work better for me, or the same, and if they don't, I may come back to Pale Moon. I've learned the hard way not to make grand pronouncements, because then if I change my mind, I have to eat crow. This way, I can come back if I want to without actually having done anything I said I wouldn't do. But that's not guaranteed, of course.

I don't want to get into too much discussion about Vivaldi in particular. Next week I may be on to something else. Plus, it's poor form to seem to be promoting one browser on another browser's forum. I'm just answering questions posed to me.

i'm having a really tough time right now for reasons that have nothing to do with my choice of browsers. Recognizing that that may be bleeding over into what's going on here because I am on edge and upset before I even boot up the PC about matters not related to the PC, I am trying to tone myself down a little bit- just in case I look back in a week and go "Ugh, I really was a jerk there and couldn't see it.".

However, even so, there is another thing my mother always used to tell me, just as your father always used to warn you about not cutting off your nose to spite your face. My mother always said that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. You seem to be using the vinegar approach right now. Vinegar only tends to work when people have no other options (Monopoly companies that you need to be able to have phone service or Internet in your area, law enforcement forcing you to do something, etc.). When you have a lot of choices as a user, and they all have some similarities and no cost or barrier to entry, the honey approach seems warranted. But of course people can do and say whatever they want if the website allows them to. I'm just saying from a practical perspective, it might be worth thinking it through more and really reflecting on whether this is moving you closer or further from what you want- which is presumably to help Pale Moon.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-05-14, 18:50

New Tobin Paradigm wrote: As stated earlier in this thread the Fake Opera browser mentioned wants to be profitable whereas Pale Moon wants to stay sustainable.. Those are two very different distinctions. This is what Moonchild has been saying all along.. What sustainable means is that he can continue doing Pale Moon as his full time job and we all can keep the servers running. That is minimal sustainability and is what is absolutely required. Due to things like Google in the past year and the overactive obsession with privacy/malware has both come to a head where ad revenue is dipping dangerously close to the minimal sustainability threshold. There are two solutions to that would best work in tandem.. Get people to not block ads on Pale Moon sites and/or get people to donate.

We are talking about sustainability here not profit.. To keep the lights on here at the Project and at his home and keep the technology going. Not to buy Moonchild a private jet and a mansion. If revenue were to go well above minimum sustainability then more interesting things can happen also mentioned above but it wouldn't be profit either it would be investment into the more interesting things.. Some dedicated programmers, bigger bug bounties, maybe even a formal establishment of some legal entity. Pale Moon is a small time community sustained operation and isn't out to make a buck off people like your Fake Opera Browser or any other browser that is more or less a delivery system for that companies other products.
I do have to agree- Pale Moon's values are a lot closer to my own. I actually do like the way you guys do business (Most of the time, I never agree with anyone 100% in general in life- I sort of march to the beat of my own drummer). And I see the need for occasional pledge drive or whatever. I just think some of the turns this thread have taken have gone overboard in certain directions. Bashing users isn't really a good thing, IMO. Pale Moon will succeed or fail in part based on whether people care enough to keep the money flowing to keep it going. That's fair to say. It's good for people to know that. But then after that point, it's kind of up to them, which to his credit MC has acknowledged.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-05-14, 19:07

Moonraker wrote: Why ask for donations now when the browser has been operational for years.?...hmmmm.
Moonraker, Tobin/New Tobin Paradigm said, "What sustainable means is that he can continue doing Pale Moon as his full time job and we all can keep the servers running."

My understanding is that Pale Moon is now Moonchild's fulltime job; he does little or nothing else to bring in the bucks/krona. If Pale Moon doesn't generate some kind of revenue, it's reasonable to assume that (1) Moonchild will have to spend his compensable time elsewhere, and (2) Pale Moon will cease to exist. Take it from there; don't see how things could be any clearer.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

kosamja
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by kosamja » 2017-05-14, 19:23

CharmCityCrab wrote:...Vivaldi... a high degree of customization and user-control...
Good joke. The most customizable Chrome based browser is 360Chrome.

superA

Unread post by superA » 2017-05-14, 19:27

rabnbeinn wrote:You donate
You turn off adblocker
You donate and turn off adblocker
You don't donate and turn off adblocker
You don't donate and keep adblocker on
It seems to me, that some of us can't understand those options, just can't understand the obvious.
I was about to write down another one, to not donate/ keep the blocker on and..never visit again palemoon.org, but after
reading all that stuff, I'm starting to believe that some of us would hapilly turn off our adblocker,everywere in the web, except here!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-05-14, 19:28

As far as I understood, Pale Moon has been Moonchild's full time job for some years now.. As in not simply a hobby. Pale Moon puts food on his table and web sites on our screen. Also, I don't want to say right off the bat that Pale Moon as a Project would simply switch off like a light if Moonchild had to shift focus away from Pale Moon to survive but his time would become more limited and the Project would suffer because of it. The only potential saving grace is that Pale Moon is not JUST one person.. It would just not do as well because creative C++ programming skills are hard to come by and loosing time for that to happen would simply hurt.

Of course the rest of us would try to make it work, in that event, well past the point of it actually being feasible because it is hard to give up. You know me, for better or worse, and I don't want to just give up. I frankly don't want to see those kinds of end game decisions have to be made. It would simply be easier if we kept everything above the minimum sustainability line.

kosamja
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by kosamja » 2017-05-14, 19:46

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Due to things like Google in the past year
I thought that thing that happened with google was because Moonchild refused to do something (post 6 in this topic: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15650):
Moonchild wrote:Google decided to cut deep into the adsense because I refused to censor our users on the forum
So that would mean its all his fault.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-05-14, 19:52

kosamja wrote:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Due to things like Google in the past year
I thought that thing that happened with google was because Moonchild refused to do something (post 6 in this topic: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15650):
Moonchild wrote:Google decided to cut deep into the adsense because I refused to censor our users on the forum
So that would mean its all his fault.
So you want Google to be able to control the content of the forum and for Moonchild not to stand up for our rights of free speech on our forum?

K. I am become Google and your post and right to say what you have said is now deemed Fake News and will be removed from the internet. Happy?

Seriously? That is your excuse? He did it to himself thus no matter what you don't want to help out? Maybe superA has a point.

kosamja
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by kosamja » 2017-05-14, 19:58

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Moonchild not to stand up for our rights of free speech on our forum?
If consequence of action surpass benefit, then its better to abide.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-05-14, 20:04

kosamja wrote:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Moonchild not to stand up for our rights of free speech on our forum?
Well at that rate may as well close down everything now or just ship Firefox verbatim no matter what form it is in.. Better to live on our knees than die on our feet eh?

Doesn't sound like a world I want to live in...

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-05-14, 20:16

Random thoughts:

1) I agree with MC not bending the knee to Google.
2) Calling people a-holes is not a nice thing to do.
3) I don't question MC making a post about donations. I trust him, so far.
4) Switching browsers because of a request for donations is kind of silly to me.
5) "Guilting" people into making donations probably won't work. (I don't mean MC with this point.)
6) There are a lot of freeloaders in this crappy world of today.
7) I think the mods/MC should lock this thread.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-14, 20:54

Giraffe wrote:...make people feel wanted/respected/loved even and they will feel almost a need to donate to PM.
I donated a couple of weeks ago but, had I seen the term "freeloader" anywhere /before/ that I probably wouldn't have done.
Having read through all of this and the other thread and so having more understanding of what's going ob, I might well make another donation at some time.
Definitely need more love and respect at this forum (and everywhere else on planet Earth). Let's really watch terminology; words have connotations as well as denotations, and English is especially filled with nuances since it has multiple words for everything (e.g. kingly, regal, royal — all the same yet all different, so choose wisely).

And I appreciated all the responses, and I'm likewise getting a better understanding of what is going on, so now I've also whitelisted palemoon.org in uBlock Origin, and I've switched from Ecosia to DuckDuckGo as my main search engine. If I could afford to donate, too, I would, so like all bereft I must rely on the generosity of those who are more fortunate than I.

Peace.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-05-14, 21:23

Off-topic:
kosamja wrote:
Utilitarianism as a rule is a terrible idea. Maximizing happiness of all people sounds good and all, but once you consider what that actually means big problems emerge. Take for example a situation where there is an old man who worked very hard his entire life and saved up a sizable amount of money for himself to retire on. Then a group of other people notice that he is well off and say to themselves "Why work hard our whole lives for money? All of us can get it much easier if we steal everything he has." After they do so, more people are happy than before. More people can buy food and nice things for themselves. But would any reasonable person say that is the best outcome ethically? No, this is the problem where minorities suffer at the hands of majorities, and no reasonable person thinks that taking advantage of minorities is ethical. At least in the US, many people have worked very hard to have members of minorities treated as equals.

Principles matter. There is more than just looking at the maximum benefit. It would be the worse path for him to have decided to abide.

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-05-14, 21:44

I apologize if I offended anyone with my comments on this thread.

Whether I use it in the future or not, I've had several great years of browsing with Pale Moon, and I've enjoyed my participation in the community here. I don't want to burn any bridges. I appreciate what MoonChild, Tobin, and others have built against all odds. Even though I may not always agree with their principles, I think it's good that they have them. They saw a world where no one was a great demand for a browser like this, which no large corporations would meet, and did sort of a community based type deal to make the browser happen for the at least 500,000 people they estimate are using it. That is very impressive, and it's a good thing to have in the world.

That said, I am not a "freeloader", and I think it's appropriate to look at my other options at this time in light of this rhetoric. I'll probably be back. I've even thought of sticking around to post on the general interest threads like the Windows 10 mega thread, but maybe I shouldn't if I'm not using the browser in light of the complaints about the website's cost per visitor or whatever. But for now I've gotta do what I've gotta do.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2017-05-16, 19:53

So, my 2 cents (I'm willing to donate more than that and have done so in the past :D ).

I think it's important to collect donations in an organized way. Around 2010 PCLinuxOS developer Texstar was cursing his users on the forum for not donating. I wasn't offended, because I didn't really use PCLinuxOS on a daily basis. Maybe some users were offended and left. He used stronger words than "freeloader" as I remember it.

Anyway, here we are in 2017. PCLinuxOS is still here and Texstar has a yearly GoFundMe campaign. In 2016 he raised almost 7500 USD from less than 200 donations.

https://www.gofundme.com/pclinuxos-2016

2017 has started a little slower, but I think the 2016 level will be reached (or surpassed) before year's end.

https://www.gofundme.com/pclinuxos-2017

So my message is simple; set up a yearly GoFundMe campaign. 7500 USD is a good target (I think). It's not a lot of money, but it's certainly a lot more than nothing. If PCLinuxOS community can raise 7500 USD, the Pale Moon community should be able to do the same.

Advertise Pale Moon GoFundMe campaign on Pale Moon websites. This is not begging, it's actually good advertising for the project. :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-17, 10:30

How donations are set up is actually quite beside the point here. People who want to donate, do so. I don't particularly see a need to involve a third party for that (which limits the ways donations can be made).
Also, $7500 is a nice amount for a hobby project, but is far from what is needed for Pale Moon, if it would have to exist from donations alone (which, because of what people in the poll indicated, is clearly not going to happen). So any campaign would be limited to... just certain aspects of the project that could be funded through donations (e.g. removing ads from websites). I don't see how that would pan out well.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2017-05-17, 16:46

“And the users exclaimed with a laugh and a taunt: It's just what we asked for but not what we want.”

I found it interesting you chose this signature... If you have a community of "freeloaders", then you have to do something about it. Which you have, but more needs to be done IMO.

No project is successful without “actively collecting” money. Make users concerned about the financial situation of Pale Moon. (This thread serves this purpose).

Also important is collecting in an organized way with a “progress bar”. If I donate to Pale Moon I want to see the progress bar go up. I want to see how my donation impacts the total amount of donations and gets us closer to the goal. That way every Pale Moon user can rejoice at every donation made.

“Donation ads” are important so users are aware that this software is sustained by donations. Also important are financial reports. Linux Mint pulls in north of $100k every year in donations. They also have ad revenue and sponsorships. Each month they produce a financial report detailing donations, which is the right way to bring attention to the importance of donations.

Pale Moon is a smaller project so no need for a financial/donation report each month. Twice a year would probably be sufficient. No need for private financial info, just donation info like Linux Mint does.

One thing is clear: Google is not going to pay for Pale Moon. They are in the process of demonetizing everyone on Youtube.

Pale Moon feels professional and even has a solid sync-service. However, the money-collecting routines are inferior to other FOSS projects. I'm not saying donations can save Pale Moon, but there is room for improvement. The $7500 figure is reasonable for a community like Pale Moon I think. The rest have to come from ads and corporate sponsors.

I don't want to label anyone a “freeloader”. Being active on the forum and helping other people is also a way to contribute. The golden rule regarding FOSS is that if you don't contribute in any way (forum help, bug reports, code, artwork, donations), then there is a big chance you'll switch back to proprietary software sooner or later.