Suggestion to "Board Rules" page

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

KNTRO

Suggestion to "Board Rules" page

Unread post by KNTRO » 2017-05-02, 17:17

Hi,

This is a suggestion to the forum's Board Rules webpage.

Since I got the The Board Rules have been updated. Click here to review them. message in Notifications, I'd like to suggest: what do you think about changing the color to and bolding new/modified text to the rules? Because when I visit the board rules, I can't remember changes from last time, so I don't know exactly what have changed and what haven't.

Thank you so much for reading.

Best regards.

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Suggestion to "Board Rules" page

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-05-02, 17:49

Yes, it´s always a good idea to notify members about what the changes are, if they are expected to follow them... ;)

Or, perhaps even better, list what´s new, (like "release notes") in a separate thread, or on top of the page, like i do on "my" forum:
Windows Server to Workstation, Forum-Rules
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

Lunix

Unread post by Lunix » 2017-05-02, 18:46

hackerman1 wrote:Yes, it´s always a good idea to notify members about what the changes are, if they are expected to follow them... ;)

Or, perhaps even better, list what´s new, (like "release notes") in a separate thread, or on top of the page, like i do on "my" forum:
That is beautifully done.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-02, 22:33

Unfortunately the board rules extension for phpBB does not allow one to indicate differences.
I have to rely one what tools are available to me here. I didn't write phpBB, i didn't write the extension to it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

hackerman1
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by hackerman1 » 2017-05-02, 22:52

Lunix wrote:
hackerman1 wrote:Yes, it´s always a good idea to notify members about what the changes are, if they are expected to follow them... ;)

That is beautifully done.
THANK YOU !

I have seen the same problem on several forums.
An admin posts: "the rules have been updated, read them".
Then finding out what the changes are, that´s not so easy...
Yes, you can of course read the whole page (all the rules), but who wants to do that...?
People are lazy, so they don´t read it... ;)

No offense Moonchild, i do not specifically mean this forum.

So i decided to do something better on "my" forum, like i would want it myself (as a forum-member).
This makes it a lot easier for my members, and it should hopefully also mean less work for me as an admin,
saving me from having to warn or ban members for not following the rules.
Now members have no excuse for not knowing about updated rules when they post.... ;) :D
Administrator on Windows Server to Workstation
Moderator (and "undercover" Admin) on The Windows Club Forum

Security: EAM, Comodo Firewall and HIPS, WinPatrol+, HOSTS-file, UAC (max), Sandboxie, NoScript and ADBlock.

PhilK

Unread post by PhilK » 2017-05-03, 11:01

KNTRO wrote:I'd like to suggest: what do you think about changing the color to and bolding new/modified text to the rules? Because when I visit the board rules, I can't remember changes from last time, so I don't know exactly what have changed and what haven't.
Same here.

Moonchild wrote:Unfortunately the board rules extension for phpBB does not allow one to indicate differences.
I have to rely one what tools are available to me here. I didn't write phpBB, i didn't write the extension to it.

Just a diff between the two versions would be fine for me.

Or if the old version is left up somewhere, we can compare ourselves.

In this case, I just used the Wayback Machine (which had serendipitously grabbed a copy on 4/24) to compare. :thumbup:

So here is the new text:
This forum focuses first and foremost on support and development of the Pale Moon browser.
Don't post politically, ideologically, religiously or socially sensitive topics on this forum, especially if they revolve around strong, polarized opinions and world views.
This to keep drama and heated tempers to a minimum.

If you want to discuss such topics, please go to dedicated fora for them. #

EDIT (There were also a couple of inconsequential paren chars added further down in the text that I didn't notice at first)