Pale Moon sources for v27.1.1 missing from site

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Pale Moon sources for v27.1.1 missing from site

Unread post by dinosaur » 2017-02-21, 16:09

As the title says, the sources for PM 27.1.1 are missing...

Fedor2

Re: Pale Moon sources for v27.1.1 missing from site

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-02-21, 16:24

But you can always get them from github.

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2017-02-21, 16:39

Fedor2 wrote:But you can always get them from github.
Yes, but then they won't compile... There's no "recipe" on how to rebuild the sources 7z package (which contains files the git doesn't have), and I don't have time to debug this issue...
Plus, there's apparently no tag for releases, so what you get from the git is only the current "master" branch, which may or may not contain additional changes over last release, and may or may not compile or work once compiled.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-02-21, 16:47

dinosaur wrote:Plus, there's apparently no tag for releases
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... .1_Release

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-21, 16:51

They will be uploaded shortly. Release was a bit messy because one of our mirrors jumped the gun and published before the intended time so things had to be pulled forward.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-21, 17:12

dinosaur wrote: There's no "recipe" on how to rebuild the sources 7z package (which contains files the git doesn't have),
Nonsense. The contents of the archives on Github are the same as the .7z snapshots on ftp.
and I don't have time to debug this issue...
...But you do have time to complain.
There's nothing to "debug" apart from debugging your "issue" of expecting things on a silver platter for your consumption.

You know, come to think of it, I really don't need to keep repackaging and uploading these archives with GitHub having the source available in 2 formats already. Problem solved.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2017-02-21, 17:42

Moonchild wrote:
dinosaur wrote: There's no "recipe" on how to rebuild the sources 7z package (which contains files the git doesn't have),
Nonsense. The contents of the archives on Github are the same as the .7z snapshots on ftp.
Nope. No "configure" script, and no recipe to rebuild it (and no "autoconf-2.13" doesn't work either with the git sources).
and I don't have time to debug this issue...
...But you do have time to complain.
Posting one line on a forum indeed takes less time than digging into the build system...
There's nothing to "debug" apart from debugging your "issue" of expecting things on a silver platter for your consumption.
I just mentioned a missing file, and now you are getting angry at me. I did not attack you or anybody, I just stated facts.

Geez, relax !

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-21, 18:02

dinosaur wrote:Nope. No "configure" script, and no recipe to rebuild it (and no "autoconf-2.13" doesn't work either with the git sources).
Do you know how I've been creating these .7z archives for quite a while already? By grabbing the source archives from GitHub and repacking them. So please don't say otherwise.
If for some reason your script doesn't unpack the configure script, then that's most definitely a problem on your end so you'll have to debug your stuff.

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2017-02-21, 18:07

dinosaur
Did you actually see gitahub sources? All in its palces
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... nfigure.in

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2017-02-21, 23:00

JustOff wrote:
dinosaur wrote:Plus, there's apparently no tag for releases
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... .1_Release
Wow, thanks !
Weird: it's not listed in the "Branch" pull-down combo, on https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon (only 27_1 is listed, but I assumed it was 27.1.0)... That's why I downloaded the "master" sources, that failed to compile on my system... Which lead to:
Moonchild wrote:
dinosaur wrote:Nope. No "configure" script, and no recipe to rebuild it (and no "autoconf-2.13" doesn't work either with the git sources).
Do you know how I've been creating these .7z archives for quite a while already? By grabbing the source archives from GitHub and repacking them. So please don't say otherwise.
If for some reason your script doesn't unpack the configure script, then that's most definitely a problem on your end so you'll have to debug your stuff.
Sorry, but I was overbooked today (it's almost midnight and I only managed to finish today's work) and doing four things at the same time tends to make me mess up one... Fact is that the master branch sources failed to compile, but not even because of the configure script (since I use parallel builds, the actual error was hidden/scrolled like 200 lines above the final abort message, the latter having been printed shortly after a third party library configure script, thus my confusion).
Moonchild wrote:
dinosaur wrote:You know, come to think of it, I really don't need to keep repackaging and uploading these archives with GitHub having the source available in 2 formats already. Problem solved.
Sure, as long as the sources do build, I don't see why bothering with repackaging. You could just point the link to the source package on your site to the tar/zip file on github, which, thank to JustOff, I found to be: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... ase.tar.gz
The link on your site is yet still interesting to have, given how the github site is confusing (and hard to find which sources correspond to the current release)...

Anyway, posting this with a freshly compiled PM v27.1.1, so thanks a bunch folks ! :D

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-02-21, 23:15

One it isn't hard.. Two.. producing the 7zip archives predates the advent of the GitHub Repository and that practice was carried forward anyway but I agree there is little point to it these days except keeping perhaps a solid archive but as 7zip doesn't maintain unix permissions the tarballs are far more useful for all platforms since all platforms can extract them only Windows doesn't care about permissions in that way.

Regardless, is there a reason you need to build Pale Moon on Windows? Besides someone who changes stuff or wants to do major testing I see little reason to bother as many would not know what they are doing and then screw it up asking the Project for help.. Well.. last I checked the Project doesn't support builds you make your self to any extent especially on Windows.

You are quite clearly on your own. All the project must do is provide sources in some useable form somewhere somehow according to the MPL.. In fact the Project could require you to have to pay for a DVD containing and postage to obtain the source only upon request. Everything else is at the sufferance of the Project and isn't their responsibility nor is it a right of yours to make demands upon that.