Canadian Start Page Suggestions

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Nothingness

Canadian Start Page Suggestions

Unread post by Nothingness » 2016-12-08, 16:10

Some links should be added.

In the Shopping Section:

Amazon.ca: has a lot of stuff including stuff (DVD, music, books, mangas) in BOTH English and French

Chapters Indigo (mostly English stuff) (https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/)

Archambault (mostly French stuff) http://www.archambault.ca/archambault-ACH-fr-ct

Canada has 2 official languages, English and French.

P.S. My mother language is French and I'm from Canada.

Thanks in advance.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Canadian Start Page Suggestions

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-08, 19:02

I'm afraid Amazon is not going to be added because of the way they have treated us. Their affiliate program has not once, but twice, refused to pay out several months' worth of revenue for no reason whatsoever that they wished to share with us (affiliate accounts closed for no valid reason without possibility of appeal). This has hurt both the project and our partners at start.me.
They made it on the global bucket list for me as far as giving them traffic is concerned.

As for the other links:
  • Can someone else from Canada confirm these are prime sites you'd expect to find as top entries for "shopping in Canada"?
  • If they are just you personal favorites, then you -can- use the customization features of start.me to set it up exactly the way you prefer.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-12-10, 18:16

Archambault and Chapters are two known sites with a decent or half-decent selection of products online, so they are decent choices to put on the Pale Moon start page. But why not Renaud-Bray (for books), Lozeau (for cameras), IGA (for groceries), MEC (for sporting goods) which all are local websites with a decent web presence.

There are many more good online-shopping websites that could be added, so it's impossible to come with a definitive list. I guess many Canadians could name you their 5 favourite online-shopping websites and many more Canadians would not be able to do so because online shopping is not as prevalent in Canada as it is in U.S. There is a lot more window-shopping than actual buying online, partly out of habit and partly because of the fee structure many stores have.

How should stores that make the cut be selected? By the amount of cash given to Start.me or Palemoon.org? By the comprehensiveness of their online shopping offering? Should their fee structure be considered, and especially should the list be limited to companies who offer free shipping? Should the list cover most aspects of daily life, i.e. food, books, building supplies, electronics, clothing? Should the page favour local Canadian companies, or even provincial ones, vs multinational companies? If they are abroad, do they insist on shipping across borders using a courrier? Many U.S. companies insist on using UPS and border-clearing fees are prohibitive and usually a surprise one discovers when the order arrives in Canada. And finally, who should be doing the search for that?

My personal preference would be for Canadian-based companies (I'm dreaming). Realistically, I would highlight only companies that have a business point in Canada, and preferably even in my province, so that if a business deal doesn't work, I know I'm protected by consumer-protection laws in Canada. And as a Québecer, I prefer to be protected by the Québec consumer protection law, which is more stringent than that of 8 or 9 of the other provinces.

About https://palemoon.start.me/ca
I never used it so I believe I see the non-customized default page for Canadian people. Here is what I see (in order), with my comments:
– Ebay.ca : specialty site. Not sure my "Canadian content rule" could apply to it.
– Best Buy : electronics and home supplies
– Staples : electronics and office supplies
– Nordstrom: Clothing?. Even thought they have 4 stores in Canada (what they say; I haven't seen the one in Montréal!), they ship from U.S., so there are international shipping fees and customs.
– Sephora : Cosmetics: I believe the platform is Canadian. not 100% sure
– 6pm.com Seems to regroup a few multinational companies. It's probably U.S. based and I'm not sure where they ship from (U.S. or Asia?)
– Ali Express: what's that?
– Grainger: Safety equipment. The Canadian link should be changed for Acklands Grainger

As a Canadian, I think the 6pm and Ali Express links should be removed. The Nordstrom link should be clarified (is it under Canadian law and is shipping done from Canada?

Finally, for all the above reasons, I'm not a fan of Pale Moon Start page nor of any start page for that matter. My favourite start page is about:blank (and about:home coming a distant second).
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-11, 10:17

Although I appreciate you taking the time to have a look at it, and providing your point of view, it doesn't really help me to decide what to do with this :)

The Canadian page is a localized page with shopping links as suggested by the start.me people based on their general on-line shopping traffic for the region. I'm open to suggestions for improvements, as long as the resulting links are actually useful in general as a starting point for shopping on-line for Canadians (both Québecois and otherwise). I want to avoid too-regional links.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

mades

Unread post by mades » 2016-12-18, 03:45

I suggest using stores that everyone knows about. Here are my suggestions:

– Ebay.ca: Known, used by all. Leave it there.
– Best Buy: Overrated - I honestly would prefer seeing a real specialty store like EBGames
– Staples (or "Bureau en Gros" here in Quebec): No comment. Leave it or remove it, makes no difference.
– Nordstrom: What IS that? I have never heard of this. I would remove it. Maybe replace with NCIX.
– Sephora: Well known, loved by all women. Leave it there.
– 6pm.com: Never heard of this. I would replace it. Maybe replace it with Indigo/Chapters - this is definitely a great store.
– Ali Express: Cheap crap... I would replace with Toys'R'Us.
– Grainger: Never heard of this. If I haven't, bet that many people haven't either. I would replace it with a known store like Rona, Canadian Tire etc.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-18, 04:02

If you're going to suggest things, then URLs would help ;)

PriseDeFer

Unread post by PriseDeFer » 2016-12-22, 14:13

http://www.redgreen.com/

...keep your stick on the ice.