disable Google ads

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: satrow, Lootyhoof, FranklinDM

Abdorhman Ayman

disable Google ads

Unread post by Abdorhman Ayman » 2016-11-15, 00:33

Hi everyone,
I want to discuses the possibility of disabling Google ads on Pale moon's website, the only thing that Google ads ever show is PORN, dating websites (in the form of a porn picture), and celebrities sexual nudes; Google ads brings money, I know that, but I'm looking to the harm that happens to society and to the individual, I'm willing to discuses my philosophy with who ever wants to.

*strongly believe that this thread belongs to the development forum, but I decided to post it here*

lyceus
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner
Posts: 2210
Joined: 2011-09-13, 23:08

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by lyceus » 2016-11-15, 05:39

Hello and welcome to the forum!

For start if you see porn ads in Google Ads, that means that the cookies found in your computer ask it to show them. :crazy: So this depends of the feedback that YOU give to Google Ads. In my case, I see ads from department stores, restaurants, bookstores and banks. :crazy: Of course I am not judging your habits or what you does in the computer, but a simple AD Blocker and cookie cleaner, can give you mental sanity to your browsing experience. Ads here are optional, not mandatory, okay? :mrgreen:

Lyceus

half-moon

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-15, 14:21

Abdorhman Ayman wrote:Hi everyone,
I want to discuses the possibility of disabling Google ads on Pale moon's website, the only thing that Google ads ever show is PORN, dating websites (in the form of a porn picture), and celebrities sexual nudes; Google ads brings money, I know that, but I'm looking to the harm that happens to society and to the individual, I'm willing to discuses my philosophy with who ever wants to.

*strongly believe that this thread belongs to the development forum, but I decided to post it here*
Off-topic:
How does porn/nudes harm society? Oh wait, it doesn't. Like lobocursor said, the ads displayed are based on the cookies stored on YOUR computer, so you are being a bit of a hypocrite.
If you don't want to see ads, there's always adblocking software.

User avatar
satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff
Posts: 1779
Joined: 2011-09-08, 11:27

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by satrow » 2016-11-15, 15:12

Re Google, cookies and their records of your search history:

Last night I used a notebook belonging to someone else and their default browser that was already in a session in order to help them pinpoint some info, using a simple but relevant search string, word1 +word2, Google's first page results were 2 possible hits, switching to the more privacy friendly DuckDuckGo search engine and the same search string, the first page of results contained only 2 hits that were less than very likely/probable.

We were both surprised by this large difference in results, I could only suggest that they were down to Google's history of that person's previous searches and cookie mining/tracking, compared to the unweighted, 'innocent' results suggested by DuckDuckGo.
Off-topic:
[or maybe not]
The majority of searches done on my own machine are to help out other people with their problems, I would guess that if I had to use only Google for just a week, it would cost me a significant amount of time and frustration, probably an hour, maybe much longer, just to filter out the amount of trash results that would increasingly crop up due to previous searches for multiple different people/localities/requirements/problems being amalgamated and incorrectly interpreted by Google's algorithms.

Abdorhman Ayman

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by Abdorhman Ayman » 2016-11-15, 22:11

Hi everyone,
your arguments included that Google ads are customized based on the user's cookies, which I think to be wrong, because I just finished installing Lubuntu 16.4 yesterday, I created a new partition table, which means that I removed everything, so there is no cookies, assuming that cookies are stored on my computer, not Google's servers.
(if someone can provide Google's privacy policy and Google's ads policy that would be great, although I'm not sure that they should be considered 100% true, they could be just a forgery *please discuses*)
Abdorhman Ayman wrote:How does porn/nudes harm society? Oh wait, it doesn't. Like lobocursor said, the ads displayed are based on the cookies stored on YOUR computer, so you are being a bit of a hypocrite
please don't judge so quickly, or I think better not to judge at all, I always noticed that judging people to be bad prevents you later to think about anything they say in an organized way, and vice-versa, judging them to be good makes you accept anything they say without hesitation.

as for your question, my philosophy has taken my to believe that porn are the reason for most of today's twisted minds (twisted minds in the sentence means the minds of people who cause pain to other living creatures), please tell me to explain more if you want to hear.

off-topic: have you ever heard about Startpage? it's a search engine that claims to give you Google's search but with complete privacy, you should give it a try satrow. of course it's slower than Google, just like tor browser, maybe because it changes your IP to other IPs in other countries before going to the actual site that you requested.

respectfully

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24603
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-15, 22:41

Moved to the appropriate board. The "suggestions" board is for browser suggestions, not for suggestions related to our web site or services.

To my knowledge, Google never shows porn advertisements because that is strictly against their guidelines for acceptable ads. If this happens regardless you can use the on-ad controls to report an offensive ad to Google.

Google's algorithm takes many things into account, not just cookies. It also takes into account your location, and if you're logged in to any Google service will also use your Google account data to show "more relevant" ads related to your search history and similar.
We have little control over the ads shown as they are auctioned to the highest bidders for our websites.
Considering we have (plenty of) expenses, we use advertisements on our websites to offset some of those expenses. If you want to have an ad-free website, you are welcome to agree a specific sponsorship with us to compensate.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff
Posts: 1779
Joined: 2011-09-08, 11:27

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by satrow » 2016-11-15, 23:15

Off-topic:
Abdorhman Ayman wrote: off-topic: have you ever heard about Startpage? it's a search engine that claims to give you Google's search but with complete privacy, you should give it a try satrow. of course it's slower than Google, just like tor browser, maybe because it changes your IP to other IPs in other countries before going to the actual site that you requested.
Been there, done that, returned rapidly to DuckDuckGo. The latest Tor also uses DuckDuckGo directly now, as it's another a privacy/anonymity tool, that's confirmation enough for me that I'm already using the best search option. Speed isn't an issue for me, security and results are, though, judging by last night's tests there's little, if any, real world difference, if there is one, it's more than made up for by not having so much drivel to wade through.

137ben
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter
Posts: 42
Joined: 2016-04-28, 21:40

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by 137ben » 2016-11-16, 01:24

IME Google Ads tend to be more relevant to me than other online advertisements. However, I use gmail, and Google Calender, and Google search in addition to DuckDuckGo, and I don't put all that much effort into remaining private. Hence, Google has a lot of data on me that they can use for ad-targeting, which may not be the case for a lot of Pale Moon users.

half-moon

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-16, 20:39

Abdorhman Ayman wrote:
How does porn/nudes harm society? Oh wait, it doesn't. Like lobocursor said, the ads displayed are based on the cookies stored on YOUR computer, so you are being a bit of a hypocrite
please don't judge so quickly, or I think better not to judge at all, I always noticed that judging people to be bad prevents you later to think about anything they say in an organized way, and vice-versa, judging them to be good makes you accept anything they say without hesitation.

as for your question, my philosophy has taken my to believe that porn are the reason for most of today's twisted minds (twisted minds in the sentence means the minds of people who cause pain to other living creatures), please tell me to explain more if you want to hear.
Off-topic:
Sorry but many people, including me, watch porn and don't cause harm to other people. Sorry, but the fact is that porn does no harm to society and it doesn't make people do harmful things to others. Plus it is harmful and judgmental to link any sort of media to any sort of violence.

User avatar
megaman
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner
Posts: 2874
Joined: 2011-08-30, 16:40
Location: H-town

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by megaman » 2016-11-16, 20:45

Off-topic:
half-moon wrote:Sorry but many people, including me, watch porn and don't cause harm to other people. Sorry, but the fact is that porn does no harm to society and it doesn't make people do harmful things to others. Plus it is harmful and judgmental to link any sort of media to any sort of violence.
Fair point, we can't judge what you like, just don't start a conversation here about it. That goes to all of you, if regards to that kind of stuff.
I also get dating site ads, I do nothing that correlates to it. If anything it should be ads for computer parts. I don't mind sites that are about dating/marrying computer parts, for kicks and giggles.
Curiosity leads to a world of experiments.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24603
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-17, 12:23

Once more: We have little control over the ads shown as they are auctioned to the highest bidders for our websites.

Dating is big business. Advertisers for dating companies have plenty of money to throw at ads and they will therefore show up regularly as highest bidder, even if the ads might not be relevant to the website (and less likely to get leads). Most advertisers will limit themselves to ad placements on sites that are relevant, but some certainly don't.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

Abdorhman Ayman

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by Abdorhman Ayman » 2016-11-29, 00:05

I'm so sorry it took me that long, I will start preparing my argument and will reply soon.

respectfully :angel:

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24603
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: disable Google ads

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-29, 01:14

Abdorhman Ayman wrote:I'm so sorry it took me that long, I will start preparing my argument and will reply soon.
respectfully :angel:
Please be aware that I don't have time to get involved in extensive arguments about this. If you have to prepare it as if it was a legal case, then it will likely be too lengthy for me to pay it proper attention.
If you have a point to make, keeping our side of things in mind as well, then please make your point concisely. TIA.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

Locked