PaleMoon Downloads

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Shadeclan

PaleMoon Downloads

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-07, 15:56

Any idea how many downloads PaleMoon has had? It seems to be gaining in popularity.

Any way to get some sort of "download odometer" on the web site? It might encourage others to try this great browser that preserves and improves on everything that was great about Firefox.

Naturally, if this takes away from PaleMoon development, forget it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PaleMoon Downloads

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-08, 01:32

There's no way to know. Pale Moon has downloads from plenty of externally operated mirrors, and unless we'd use telemetry in the installer to know the number of times it's actually run, there's little data to draw from.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-08, 09:32

And what about total audience? If this isn't confidential, of course.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-08, 12:50

JustOff wrote:And what about total audience? If this isn't confidential, of course.
Last time I checked we had about half a million active users.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Shadeclan

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-08, 15:11

Half a million users is nothing to sneeze at.

RJules3
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by RJules3 » 2016-11-09, 05:45

Moonchild wrote:...
Last time I checked we had about half a million active users.
Oh! I had not thought to be in such an exclusive club here. I don't know why but I expected the number to be in the low single digit million. Competition among browsers seems to be extremely adamant.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-09, 08:16

It's not an exclusive club, really - If we are, then SeaMonkey is as well (percentage-wise we are about equal according to a number of stats).
Also, the numbers we've gathered as much as we can has been a minimum, based on traffic to update servers as a result of known periodic updates - they may actually be quite a bit off.

We've also been losing some users because of the known web compatibility problems lately; we're hoping all that will be solved with the upcoming milestone.