Edit button missing, unable to edit posts!

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Edit button missing, unable to edit posts!

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-10-08, 13:35

I am finding posts of mine that while I am remain logged into the forum the "edit" button fails to display thus preventing me from editing my own posts.

Is anyone else finding this function missing as well?
Edit button missing.png
Any ideas on how to fix this?

Addendum: this specific post has all function displayed as expected.
all forum posting functions.png
However while the buttons display correctly in this board the only functions I see buttons for in the "Community" board are what is illustrated in the first screen-shot posted above. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2016-10-08, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

dark_moon

Re: Edit button missing, unable to edit posts!

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-10-08, 13:41

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-10-08, 13:51

dark_moon wrote:See viewtopic.php?p=7107 point 2
Thanks for the heads-up, on that point here is the post and more specifically the point you're referencing (in red below):
Moonchild wrote:Unfortunately, as Pale Moon's popularity grows, so does the attempted spamming of the forum. I've had to put more spam protection measures in place, although this shouldn't impact most users.

In effect now:
  1. New: Newly registered users will have their first 1 or 2 posts moderated before being given normal access
  2. Limits on time allowed to edit or delete your own posts
  3. Captchas (annoying, but effective)
  4. New: Checking upon registration of known spammer details @stopforumspam - and refusal to admit people with matching credentials (you misbehave on any other forum using that service, and you will be banned here too)
  5. Alert and aware fellow users who report spam posts and suspicious activity (thanks guys&girls!)
So my questions are, I'm assuming this second point regarding "limits on time allowed to edit..." posts applies to all posters including those who have been members for over a year even.

Okay, assuming this is the case it raises the question how long are the "limits on time" :?:, because I am unable to edit a one-day old post:
unable to edit a one-day old post.png
It seems to me a bit overly restrictive to prevent the editing of posts from the previous day. :shock: :? :crazy: :thumbdown:
Here is the same one-day old post with functions displayed, perhaps there exists a glitch :think: :idea: :
unable to edit one-day old post inclusive of functions.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-10-08, 17:32

I returned to this topic to strike-out my unnecessary questions because I have the answers now but was unable to do so because it's unfortunately been more than 2-hours since I posted the above comments.

So I'm posting this to say to all who read the topic, please disregard my posts above as I've been apprised of the situation and I no longer need any additional feedback on this topic (which as far as I'm concerned can be locked).

I apologize for not finding the answer proactively which would have avoided my posting the topic in the first place. :oops:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-08, 18:12

Editing is limited to 2 hours after another recent spat of destructive behavior by users.

I'm not inclined to change it again, because it's apparently very much needed. 2 hours should be sufficient for any casual editing needed of new posts (and if you feel you need to do more, then save the post as a draft before you actually post it, and go back as often as you like before finally putting it on the forum) while not being so long that edits would disrupt conversations that are ongoing on the topic. You are free to add follow-ups to posts to clarify.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2016-10-08, 18:38

Thanks for your reply and I would add that I'm also pleased to be able to say that I had the opportunity to express my thoughts of appreciation in regards to your more inclusive perspective in response to my thoughts on the subject matter before you locked the source topic that provided me with the answers to my questions that I had contributed to earlier. :thumbup: (I can say, one of my numerous shortcomings has always been that I've never really been that flexible to change :()

hmm, :think: now that I think about it, maybe that's why I like Pale Moon so much, that is providing me with the "old way" FF used to be in so many ways. :idea: :D