Username get cleared with mistyped password

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Username get cleared with mistyped password

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-11-23, 20:02

When I mistype my password when logging in to this forum, I get the message that I have supplied an incorrect password. When this happens, the Username box comes back empty. With some other forums and email log-in sites, if I mistype my password the username box will still have my username in it. Can the PM forums be changed so we won't have to retype the username when the password is mistyped?
Untitled.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Username get cleared with mistyped password

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-11-23, 23:08

AFAIK this is intended behavior.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2015-11-23, 23:51

Probably true, but intended behavior can be changed. It's a pain to have to retype the username; it seems only the Pale Moon forums, of all the log-in screens I use, require this.

Of course I guess I can always change my password to something easier to type. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-24, 02:33

Just make sure you remember your password or type it in correctly.
Or, use Pale Moon password manager (with a master password, of course) so you can't mis-type it ;-)

The user name is cleared on purpose to prevent rapid attempts at guessing passwords. All PHPBB fora do this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mercury

Unread post by Mercury » 2015-11-25, 02:46

Moonchild wrote:The user name is cleared on purpose to prevent rapid attempts at guessing passwords. All PHPBB fora do this.
Okay, that is just plain stupid.

Firstly, there should be a login attempt limit anyway which takes care of attackers brute forcing passwords.
Secondly, any semi-competent attacker would automate the guessing process anyway, including typing in the user name, so this would not be an effective mitigation.

This is a completely daft mis-feature, which can only negatively affect legitimate users and does nothing to improve actual security.

Incidentally, Win7 does the same thing when I mistype my VPN password. And the username for that includes a difficult-to-type domain. Makes me want to find the person who approved this crap, force them to type out "I will think things through carefully before imposing them on others." 500 times, and make them start again from the beginning whenever they make a typo. :twisted:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-11-25, 05:08

Mercury, please tone it down. This feature does indeed help with some mitigation.

Frankly, I think it is a good idea.

x-15a2

Unread post by x-15a2 » 2015-11-25, 11:08

Mercury wrote:Okay, that is just plain stupid.
I assume that you realize the these forums, while hosted by the PM project, are not a product of Pale Moon. If you want to rant about a minor functionality issue with the forum software tou should post it on the phpbb forums.

Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Admin » 2015-11-25, 14:12

Closing this thread. This is indeed out of our control and I'm not going to hack the forum software to change this behavior.
Did you know that moral outrage triggers the pleasure centers of the brain? It's unlikely you can actually get addicted to outrage, but there is plausible evidence that you can become strongly predisposed to it.
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p002w557/episodes/downloads - "The cooperative species" and "Behaving better online"