Edit post functionality Topic is solved

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

stravinsky

Edit post functionality

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-01, 14:50

when we click on the "edit post" button, instead of opening the full editor, why not open the "quick post" as the default?

Rohugh

Re: Edit post functionality

Unread post by Rohugh » 2012-07-01, 15:33

I prefer the full edit box because it is better if you want to add links, emotions, pictures or any of the available functions. There is no difference in speed even if you only want to correct a small mistake.

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-01, 15:44

edit usually means small changes....

i am not against the full post editor.
i just dont like that :
to edit a post you have to be first directed to another page. then you make the changes and its posted. then the post confirmation page appears and you can either wait for it to redirect or you have to click manually to see what you have posted.
i dont like all that rigmarole to make a new post or edit.

90% of the time, we use
1. quote
2. bold
3. italics
4. URL

why not :
1. add these 4 in in the quick post functionality
2. make Edit the same as the quick post with the above 4 functions. If the user wants more, he can click on the advanced/full editor and edit his posts.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-01, 20:00

Edit usually means small changes for you, but for others it may mean more complex things. (e.g. adding a screenshot would need someone to click edit, then click full editor, THEN get to add the screenshot, more steps.

Also, regularly, editing may involve actually changing formatting to emphasize things. the "quick reply" is only there if you don't want/need advanced functions, otherwise you click "post reply" -- it'd be a bad choice to blur that distinction; you either hit quick reply to quickly add some text to the thread, or you hit post reply to have all formatting options at your disposal.

Technically speaking, adding functions like that to the "in-place" editor/reply box is complex. the full editor has a lot of under the hood functions that you can't just port over, e.g. the option to select text and then his a formatting button or tag button.

EDIT: the quick reply also has a confirmation page that it's posted.
EDIT2: Maybe you should use the full editor to write replies, and use preview to proofread it before posting? :D ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-07-02, 02:55

there are two separate issues here :

1. add the above 4 functionalities to the "quick reply" button.
-> it makes sense to me. maybe open a poll on this ? if this is technically complex, then leave it.

2. "edit" button instead of opening the "complete editor" by default , should use the "quick edit/in-place editor". the advantage as i see is that the user does not have to go through multiple steps(written above) just for editing posts.
-> maybe have another poll for this ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-02, 08:37

stravinsky wrote:there are two separate issues here :

1. add the above 4 functionalities to the "quick reply" button.
-> it makes sense to me. maybe open a poll on this ? if this is technically complex, then leave it.
It's complex, as explained above. And definitely not something I should be doing -- you should post this on the phpBB forum where they develop the PHP for this board ;) It's hardly a simple change that I, as a user of the software, can implement.
2. "edit" button instead of opening the "complete editor" by default , should use the "quick edit/in-place editor". the advantage as i see is that the user does not have to go through multiple steps(written above) just for editing posts.
-> maybe have another poll for this ?
This is just as complex - if not more so. Adding a reply box at the bottom is fairly simple (quick reply) to add a new post - it can be done unrelated to existing content already on the page. For editing, you need to do a hell of a lot more. Think of: where to put the box? Insert code with each post to do this (greatly magnifies the page size to download)? Name every element in a thread unique and use DOM to query objects for their content (slow and complex)? etc. The way it is done now is more database driven, which is good. SQL queries are much faster than using DOM/javascript to mangle content.

Also, there is no other "step" involved for the user using the full editor: You (1) click a button, (2) edit, (3) click submit, (4) get an auto-redirect confirmation page.
The only difference is that you have the page with the full editor load between (1) and (2), but that requires no interaction, and is hardly the speed-limiting factor to creating/editing content.

You have to keep in mind that "quick reply" is there for convenience - a lot of phpBB boards have this functionality off by default, even, in which case you always use the full editor. By the way, the full editor still lists all the previous content in the thread as well, it's just reversed in page layout (top to bottom)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-11-22, 13:21

Admin notice: the following brought to you in response to a removed SPAM post - result: User banned, post deleted.

With apologies to Monty Python....

Customer:
Morning,

Waitress:
Morning.

Customer:
What have you got?

Waitress:
Well, there's egg and bacon,
egg sausage and bacon
Egg and spam
Egg, bacon and spam
Egg, bacon, sausage and spam
Spam, bacon, sausage and spam
Spam, egg, spam, spam, bacon and spam
Spam, sausage, spam, spam, spam, bacon, spam tomato and spam
Spam, spam, spam, egg and spam
Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam and spam.

(Choir: Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Lovely Spam! Lovely Spam!).... http://www.last.fm/music/Monty+Python/_/Spam+Song

Wikipedia 1: Spam (shortened from spiced ham) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_%28food%29
Wikipedia 2: Spam (Monty Python) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_%28Monty_Python%29
"Spam" is a popular Monty Python sketch, first televised in 1970. In the sketch, two customers are in a greasy spoon café trying to order a breakfast from a menu that includes Spam in almost every dish. The term spam (in electronic communication, and general slang) is derived from this sketch.[1]
Which was news to me - I'd just used the term without wondering about it's origin - learn something every day! :lol:

PS. This was stravinsky's topic - forum seems to have a "stravinsky" sized hole of late? :silent: Did he get banned (again) - and I missed it?
Last edited by Blacklab on 2012-11-22, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-11-22, 16:11

Blacklab wrote:forum seems to have a "stravinsky" sized hole of late? :silent: Did he get banned (again) - and I missed it?
Stravinksy got a cooldown period and hasn't returned after. Trust me, the ban hammer is reserved for spammers and people making absolute asses out of themselves.