Forum Back To Normal

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Forum Back To Normal

Unread post by Night Wing » 2024-04-02, 11:11

I am very, very VERY glad to see the old Forum style look is "back". Speaking just for myself, I absolutely hated the new, improved and modern
gaudy looking new Forum style which was an April Fools look. The new looks just ate my eyes up. Way too much white and too bright for my poor eyesight.

If the April Fools look "would" have been the new look for this site, I was seriously thinking my time to participate on this site was coming to an end. I had resigned myself to only coming here from then on to look at one sub forum which is the Announcements sub forum to look for the newest (latest) version of linux Pale Moon.

I do not use many extensions in my Pale Moon. I only use two extensions in my linux Pale Moon and they are uBlock Origin and Zoom Label. I use mainly two themes for my Pale Moon and they are Moonscape and Past Modern Revisited.

I was not going to add two more extensions to view this site if the new look was going to actually be the "new look". And I was not about to turn the brightness setting down on my 32", 1920 x 1080, 16.9 external monitor just for this site and then turn the setting back to where it was for all the sites I look at on the internet.

Below is an attachment to what my linux Pale Moon 33.0.2 looks like with my favorite style color scheme which is "prosilver SE (forest)" board style which is accessed through my User Control Panel. Once in the Panel under the Board Preferences tab and using the Edit Global Settings; this is where you can change your "Board Style".

You can also see how I've customized what my Pale Moon looks like using the Customize Toolbar. BTW, my linux Pale Moon attachment also shows, at this time, my Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce linux distro (distribution) Panel taskbar.
Attachments
Pale Moon prosilver SE (forest).png
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Forum Back To Normal

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-04-02, 11:50

91184553_886638181781926_6961732496044064768_n_20200401213338.jpg
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2024-04-02, 12:20

I am also Very relieved to find it back to normal, doubly so as I am and have been using: index.php
as my Home page...It's the fastest loading I have found, faster load than DDG Homepage (not by much but noticeable)
So when I start PM it starts@PM forum index.
Also I had no alternate besides DDG homepage :(
Super Happy it was April1! :thumbup:
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-04-02, 13:29

I do find it particularly funny that some people really weren't clued in by the obvious hints:
  • Completely unannounced
  • In a style everyone who has been here for a while knows I really don't like
  • Not a choice, and enforced on everyone
  • The date, of course
  • The mention of nonsense fluff "Fully-inclusive accessibility features for every gender identity"
I mean, you have to have a pretty dense filter to not pick up on it :D
No, I won't apologize for having a little good-natured fun, no matter how many topics are created to complain about it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

H Seldon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by H Seldon » 2024-04-02, 14:46

Thanks for the good-natured fun! It made my day!
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2024-04-02, 18:13

I figured it was probably temporary, but I genuinely didn't hate the theme, then again I am one of the few people who actually has nostalgic memories of Windows 8 and the original Surface Pro... especially now that Windows 11 is here. I don't know, maybe it's just that this is the interface I spent the last 10+ years looking at, between Windows Phone and various modern versions of Windows, and it sort of grew on me even though it wasn't really my taste.

So the funny thing is, people who actually liked Metro are now in the same boat as everyone else because Microsoft got rid of it in Windows 11. So what you switched the forum theme over to, is actually what was modern back in 2012-2017, not what's modern now, which is actually a lot uglier. That's actually how I knew it was an April Fool's joke... because if you actually wanted a modern design, you'd have made it really ugly with lots of white space and rounded corners, not like Windows 8.

The other thing that gave it away was that you used "Metrolike" as a light theme with a lot of pink in the color scheme, and in fact that theme is usually more monochrome. Most fans of Metro agree it's best used as a dark theme, with black background and white text, because the other way around would be a little too intense. It's designed to be high-contrast, but with a light theme you need more shades of grey to avoid hurting people's eyes, whereas if you put light text on a dark background it saves power and also isn't as hard to look at with a limited number of shades available.

I never forget about April Fool's Day, though, because that is actually my birthday...
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

somdcomputerguy
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by somdcomputerguy » 2024-04-02, 18:43

Moonchild wrote:
2024-04-02, 13:29
I do find it particularly funny that some people really weren't clued in by the obvious hints:
  • Completely unannounced
  • In a style everyone who has been here for a while knows I really don't like
  • Not a choice, and enforced on everyone
  • The date, of course
  • The mention of nonsense fluff "Fully-inclusive accessibility features for every gender identity"
I mean, you have to have a pretty dense filter to not pick up on it :D
No, I won't apologize for having a little good-natured fun, no matter how many topics are created to complain about it.
I think it would've been even funnier to have a note on the index page saying, "Please Update Your Browser. Use Chrome, Firefox, or Edge for best performance." :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:cool: -bruce /* somdcomputerguy.com */
'If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.'

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2024-04-02, 18:56

or "best browsing experience" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and may be a fish in the logo

PS: the April's Fool Day message on a national Ubuntu forum was "Ubuntu becoming payware"
What about a RFC like RFC 2324 or RFC 7168 ?
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-04-02, 19:22

athenian200 wrote:
2024-04-02, 18:13
I never forget about April Fool's Day, though, because that is actually my birthday...
Happy belated birthday then!

Southern_Computer_Geek
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Southern_Computer_Geek » 2024-04-03, 00:53

Off-topic:
athenian200 wrote:
2024-04-02, 18:13
I bet that attracts a lot of jokes ;)

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2024-04-03, 03:50

I can't believe anybody (Moonchild, I guess) expended the time and effort to create that thing. That time would have been better spent programming my machine to mine Bitcoin, thanks. Next year, I'm sure.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2024-04-03, 12:26

van p wrote:
2024-04-03, 03:50
I can't believe anybody (Moonchild, I guess) expended the time and effort to create that thing. That time would have been better spent programming my machine to mine Bitcoin, thanks. Next year, I'm sure.
it was a 5-minute job to install the theme and default it ;) I didn't create it!
And another 5 minutes to remove it again.