Being forced to fail until hCaptcha, then it logs in. Topic is solved

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Being forced to fail until hCaptcha, then it logs in.

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-08-02, 17:06

I've noticed for a couple of months now that, whenever I clear everything in my browser (cookies, cache, etc.), I am never permitted by the Pale Moon Forums website to log in at the first attempt.

It ends up going like this:

I type in the correct log in information.

It says that I did it wrong, even though I can 100% guarantee you that I typed in the correct information. When I first started noticing this problem, I reckoned that I simply must have mistyped my password. But ever since that time, I've looked directly at the keys that I'm typing when I type my password to log in here, and I can guarantee you that the username and password that I type is completely correct.

So I type in the correct log in information again.

It says that I did it wrong, again, even though I didn't do it wrong.

So then I type in the correct log in information for a third time.

It says that I exceeded the allowed number of log-in attempts, so now I have to also solve an hCaptcha. I, quite frustrated, solve the hCaptcha, and type in the exact same information as the last two times.

Then, and only then, does it allow me to log in.

What's going on here?
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Being forced to fail until hCaptcha, then it logs in.

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-08-02, 20:19

Instead of fighting the problem, try a different solution.

Once you're logged in, change your old password(the problem child one) to a new password, confirm t he new password and then log out. Then log back in with the new password and if you can get back in, then change the new password "back" to your original password you liked. Confirm that.

Then log back out with your original password and then log back in. If you can log back in with your your new/original password, then all is well.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-08-02, 20:34

Are you certain your password is correct the first time you enter it? I've noticed that the forum will hit you with an hCaptcha for just one wrong attempt, so it could be that you're running afoul of that.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-08-02, 21:50

Night Wing wrote:
2020-08-02, 20:19
Once you're logged in, change your old password(the problem child one) to a new password, confirm t he new password and then log out. Then log back in with the new password and if you can get back in, then change the new password "back" to your original password you liked. Confirm that.

Then log back out with your original password and then log back in. If you can log back in with your your new/original password, then all is well.
I will try this.

EDIT: Seems to have worked. Thanks Night Wing!
Isengrim wrote:
2020-08-02, 20:34
Are you certain your password is correct the first time you enter it? I've noticed that the forum will hit you with an hCaptcha for just one wrong attempt, so it could be that you're running afoul of that.
I am pretty much 100% certain that I'm typing my password in correctly, and given the fact that it only seems to happen when I clear my cookies (if I log out, and then log back in, without clearing my cookies, it doesn't happen), I have a feeling something funny was going on with the login process for me.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

tommy

Unread post by tommy » 2020-08-10, 19:03

Preface: I have been out of programming since 1998

Now and again when logging into email on the ISP, it will tell me I have mistyped the PW several times and must now go through the reCaptcha maze. Somehow it is set on the site to force reCaptcha if you fail one try, even if you did NOT fail on that login attempt.
I trust reCaptcha as far as I can toss my truck.
When I comnplained to tech support, they assured me that it was up to the reCaptcha people, not the ISP, as to when reCaptcha should be called into play. I do not know if it is because I am not using Chrome...
tom

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-08-10, 19:50

tommy wrote:
2020-08-10, 19:03
[...]
I don't know if you are just throwing that post out there as a comment on the rest of this thread, but If you are pursuing an answer to your post, then this is not the thread for that. Create a different thread, perhaps in my domain, the Off-Topic Board. Ask your question there.

If you still need to have your posts approved, then you'll have to wait until that period is over before you are permitted to post in the Off-Topic Board.