What did New Tobin Paradigm do to get banned? I see nothing wrong in his posts.

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: satrow, FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Stargate38

What did New Tobin Paradigm do to get banned? I see nothing wrong in his posts.

Unread postby Stargate38 » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 20:53

I looked through all of his posts, and I don't see anything breaking the rules, at least not enough for a full ban. Please unban him, or at least tell me what he did wrong. I find his ban unfair, especially for someone that has over 4000 posts. I really think that the ban reasons should be listed under the offending members' names (i.e. "banned for trollish behavior", instead of just "banned") along with how long the ban will last (i.e. 6 months, 1 year, permanent, etc.).

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: What did New Tobin Paradigm do to get banned? I see nothing wrong in his posts.

Unread postby satrow » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 21:11

Perhaps he volunteered to be 'banned' so he could be more productive.

Nightbird
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: What did New Tobin Paradigm do to get banned? I see nothing wrong in his posts.

Unread postby Nightbird » Fri, 29 Jun 2018, 22:06

Stargate38,
Me too, i asked but never got an answer, so i looked for ... and found the answer.

The ban is real but at his own request.
This way, he can focus on the project Phoebus.

adesh
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread postby adesh » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 10:14

I hope to see him back once Pale Moon 28 is released.

yereverluvinuncleber
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby yereverluvinuncleber » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 15:00

Well, he was following all the rules of trolling, using expletives regularly, having an obvious dig at people that clearly annoyed him. His behaviour was not constructive especially in the last few weeks prior to the ban. He had been on the forum for too long, was acting as if he was King of the heap and everyone below him was a mere fool. He was giving the forums a bad reputation by his outbursts or cruel/uncivil responses,

Knowledge when used with civility is a wonderful thing. Too many think that just because they have knowledge in a particular subject it gives them the right to be less than civil to others that don't have that knowledge or those that hold different opinions.

Cogent and civil discussion is what makes a good forum. Tobin was capable of it, he just seemed to be unable to do so for what ever reason. I imagine he was under some personal stress which sharpened an already abrasive personality. I also hope to see him back when he has sorted himself out.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 15:06

All of the above applies.

Tobin, nor anyone else, is above the rules, although his extended involvement in the project does provide more leniency. He had already been warned about his behavior, and he himself recognized his behavior was problematic -- the ban was requested for both (1) a self-imposed cooldown and (2) so he could focus properly on other things instead of being obsessive-compulsive about the forum.
Last edited by Moonchild on Sat, 30 Jun 2018, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

zapper
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread postby zapper » Thu, 05 Jul 2018, 14:58

Moonchild wrote:All of the above applies.

Tobin, nor anyone else, is above the rules, although his extended involvement in the project does provide more leniency. He had already been warned about his behavior, and he himself recognized his behavior was problematic -- the ban was requested for both (1) a self-imposed cooldown and (2) so he could focus properly on other things instead of being obsessive-compulsive about the forum.

I wondered about this given I had seen him posting for a while, yes he was a quite blunt, but I was still curious. Don't ask why, I am not even sure.

fillerup
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread postby fillerup » Thu, 05 Jul 2018, 15:05

did anyone see the the way he approached AUR packagers about Basilisk? the man refuses, or is simply incapable of showing the slightest amount of diplomatic courtesy when it comes to human interactions. once upon a time i used to think he'd eventually see how his antagonistic and counterproductive communication style was hurting both himself and the PM team/browser, but alas..

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Thu, 05 Jul 2018, 15:51

Right. that's quite enough out of all of you. Locking this thread so we're not continuing the gossip circuit and talking about people who can't rightly respond themselves.

As for AUR packagers: if they would actually inform themselves what they should or should not do before tossing half-broken builds out into the wild, then there wouldn't be a problem. Once upon a time we still hoped they'd see how their fumbling around in the dark and trying to pass it off as official Basilisk was hurting both themselves and the dev team/browser, but alas... it ended up with them squatting the package name because they didn't know why, when take 2 landed, it wouldn't build with official branding. Then a "trusted member" of AUR declared we didn't have rights to our own damn trademark?...
Hardly a situation where diplomatic courtesy is expected to still work.
Last edited by Moonchild on Thu, 05 Jul 2018, 15:55, edited 2 times in total.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Return to “Forum and website”