Reader 52.0 borks UI, won't uninstall Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Lew Rockwell Fan

Reader 52.0 borks UI, won't uninstall

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2017-06-14, 15:47

Reader 52.0 makes a lot of the UI marginally readable or unreadable for me, most notably the url field which becomes a totally illegible mess. Looking at reviews, I have a suspicion this may be broken on FFx too, but I haven't tested that. There is a closed thread on here about Theme Font & Size Changer (which works fine for me) where I would have posted the query if the OP had Reader installed because his problems sounded familiar.

Perhaps the worst thing is that Reader 52.0 won't uninstall. Fortunately, "disable" works. Maybe I should leave well enough alone. Still, if anyone has ideas about removing this obnoxiousware without having to remove all extensions and start over, I'm interested.

This is 27.3.0 (64-bit) under Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 LTS, a minimalist version thereof, built from the mini.iso up with plain Openbox, no further DE. Like Lubuntu on amphetamines and the Atkins diet.

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Reader 52.0 borks UI, won't uninstall

Unread post by CraigPD » 2017-06-14, 18:20

You can manually extract it from your profile directory in the extensions subdirectory. The last time I used it before replacing with Enjoy Reading (a superior choice, IMO) it was named {20068ab2-1901-4140-9f3c-81207d4dacc4}.xpi, about 575k in size. With Pale Moon closed, delete the file and it will be history when restarting.

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2017-06-17, 01:50

Thank you. I'll back it up and try both your remedy and your alternative. "Advanced Night Mode" isn't bad all by itself.

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2017-06-18, 16:57

Before I could get to that I stumbled onto another way, and it worked. I had been trying from the "more" page for the addon. But I zoomed way out on the about:addons page and found buttons I hadn't seen before way over to the right, the far, far right one being "remove". Not sure if it was because that button doesn't work the same way or if it was because I've rebooted a few times and some time has passed, but that button worked. Worked also for another extension (Big Buttons) I'd had the same problem with.

Lew Rockwell Fan

Unread post by Lew Rockwell Fan » 2018-04-02, 18:01

Lew Rockwell Fan wrote:. . . I zoomed way out on the about:addons page and found buttons I hadn't seen before way over to the right, the far, far right . . .
This UI issue disappeared at some point & I didn't notice when. A similar issue with the "Bookmark This Page" dialog also disappeared. Not sure what changes were relevant. Could have even been a hardware upgrade &/or accompanying change in the graphics driver.