Add-ons: compatibility?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

MGBJAY

Add-ons: compatibility?

Unread post by MGBJAY » 2017-03-22, 16:27

FF_ADD-ONS_DISALLOWED.png
... and there are so many "extensions" that just no longer are able to be used with PM.

In these instances, are we (am I) just SOL for the time being, or will waiting & hoping produce any result besides disappointment?

I have wanted to install four different extensions in the past week, only to be informed that they are not compatible with PM. Particularly those of the Jetpack/SDK variety, "which are not supported by PM 27.2.0"

When I choose the option to "install anyway" the process runs, only to be informed after doing so, that it was not installed because the file may have been corrupt. Which I cannot believe to be the case every time.

While I cannot be certain about this, it seems that this behaviour has become more common in recent weeks.

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Wewpt

Re: Add-ons: compatibility?

Unread post by Wewpt » 2017-04-11, 22:34

I noticed this as well when I recently tried to install an extension that I had to manually download from the developers site as it was removed from Mozilla's database.

It had always worked before once I'd installed the Skip Addon Compatibility checker (I actually tried 2 different versions of it). They would install, but the option to Enable was non-existant.

As well, modifying the xpi's version range did not make any difference.

Ran into similar issues with other non-related extensions in Fossamail, same result.

I'm betting if I can find a workaround for Fossamail/Thunderbird, the same tactic will also apply to Pale Moon/Firefox.

If I come up with anything I'll certainly create a post.

Wewpt

Wewpt

Unread post by Wewpt » 2017-04-11, 23:19

Found this, but option 1 doesn't work, option 2 I suppose is an alternative albeit a temporary one, and the other options don't interest me at all.

https://fedoramagazine.org/firefox-npap ... ns-fedora/

It refers to Firefox and Fedora Linux, but I'm guessing the same applies to PM and Windows...

I think the best we can do is accept that things are going to change whether we like it or not (life's like that right?), and place our faith in the PM devs and coders to do the best they can to provide us with the abilities and as much backwards compatibility as possible without sacrificing stability, security, and reliability.

I for one applaud PM for their continued efforts and, good or bad, I have no intention of looking at any other browser alternative.

Wewpt

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-04-12, 00:22

Wewpt

Unread post by Wewpt » 2017-04-13, 06:31

Very informative, thank you Matt.