27.1 addon compatibility mega-thread

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

fillerup

27.1 addon compatibility mega-thread

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-02-10, 10:41

Hi all, since the forum is quickly being cluttered with multiple threads about extensions' compatibility with the newest PM version, i hope we can have a centralized discussion here for addons that don't warrant their own threads

My Instantfox 2.8.8.1 no longer functions correctly in 27.1. Dropdown bookmark/history entries don't appear instantaneously as you type into the search bar, and when you press down arrow to retrieve them, the titles of pages are all replaced with a singular dash, like this

Also the latest Tab Mix Plus (0.5.0.2) cannot coexist with Tree Style Tab, as it breaks all keyboard shortcuts, and some minor functionalities that I noticed. Breakage is probably more severe than that, though the loss of keyboard shortcuts is more than enough for me to revert to 0.4.1.8 without any further investigation. Suspecting this to be a 27.1 issue initially, I later found out that the same breakage occurs when i reverted back to 27.0.3, and that i was still on 0.4.1.8 before the update instead of 0.5.0.2 like I thought

Luckily for me, only that is the extent of addon incompatibility I have at the moment. There are other addons that haven't worked properly since 27.0.x (FinderBar Tweak comes to mind), but 27.1 isn't the culprit in those situations

littledude072

Re: 27.1 addon compatibility mega-thread

Unread post by littledude072 » 2017-02-10, 13:53

tree style tabs (TST). the github version works for some, but not for me. i personally use the 32 portable version, will try the install later

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14730
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14678

Nelraen
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Nelraen » 2017-02-10, 18:59

All right, let me chime in: Reddit Enhancement Suite.

While there was a version that got hacked to work with 27, the new 27.1 update killed it, (and the xpi was removed from github, though I still have it).

The current github readme offers unfortunately no working version to download, and the alternative it lists does not really work. E.g.: the night selector only works halfway, the config window has three buttons and nothing loads and the like. Possibly because it was last updated almost 7 years ago and reddit changed quite much since.

Anyone has anything that would work? My biggest needs are:
- working night mode
- expand images
- comment box preview
- custom topbar

less pressing needs:
- infinite scroll

...so far I'm tempted to go back to the previous PM27 version :-/

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-02-10, 21:13

If you install the moon tester tool, you can manually download the .xpi for RES 4.6.1 and manually install it using the Moon Tester Tool.

GreenGeek

Unread post by GreenGeek » 2017-02-10, 21:25

No Resource URI Leak 1.1.0 and Canvas Defender 1.0.9 work for me installing with Moon Tester Tool.

Nelraen
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Nelraen » 2017-02-10, 22:18

half-moon wrote:If you install the moon tester tool, you can manually download the .xpi for RES 4.6.1 and manually install it using the Moon Tester Tool.
Ah, okay, thanks. That seem to have fixed it. I thought it was just some last-ditch test/debug mode that was guaranteed to fail most of the time.

...I also wish I knew how to make it PM27.1 compatible, but unfortunately I'm not good at javascript. :-/

Rekov

Unread post by Rekov » 2017-02-11, 03:30

I'm also in here because of RES. I've got the version that was working 27.0, and it's still installed, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

justmix4

Unread post by justmix4 » 2017-02-11, 08:43

I recommend a return to the previous version 27.03 and just wait for compatible versions of addons with 27.1. I just did it.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-02-11, 09:08

Off-topic:
xm444 wrote:I recommend a return to the previous version 27.03 and just wait for compatible versions of addons with 27.1. I just did it.
I wouldnt recommend that. PM 27.1 have security fixes which PM 27.0 doesnt have. But its your choice

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-02-11, 09:20

for the average user, security CAN take a backseat when crucial functionality is compromised

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-11, 10:05

fillerup wrote:for the average user, security CAN take a backseat when crucial functionality is compromised
Absolutely; just don't let it last too long (more than a few months).

Because of the security transparency in place for Mozilla, Google and other corporations, details of security exploits will become public after a certain amount of time, at which point anyone still running an old version will become a much more likely target for the exploit of vulnerabilities.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Nelraen
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Nelraen » 2017-02-11, 11:42

Rekov wrote:I'm also in here because of RES. I've got the version that was working 27.0, and it's still installed, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.
This was how I got mine working again, thanks again dark_moon!

1. Uninstall the non-working variant (maybe disable also works. I do not know. Also, a settings save would be great to have in hindsight)
2. install Moon tester tool: https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/ ... ster-tool/
3. download (not install) version 4.6.1 of RES https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ions/4.6.1
4. go to the extensions page, hit settings for Moon tester tool
5. there is an "install" button on the settings, hit it, browse to the downloaded RES 4.6.1
7. you might have to reload the extensions page and hit "enable" on RES. It will have a [TESTING] before its name.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-02-11, 14:47

Does the tester tool affect peformance or something? How does it work? Is it something that does changes to the RES files, or is it like another layer between the extension and the browser? If it's the latter, I don't think I like it :(
P.S. How do you download the file? The only option is installing it.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-02-11, 14:53

Octopuss wrote:Does the tester tool affect peformance or something? How does it work? Is it something that does changes to the RES files, or is it like another layer between the extension and the browser? If it's the latter, I don't think I like it :(
Read https://github.com/JustOff/moon-tester-tool/
Rightclick on the AMO button, instead of leftclick. Then just choice download/ save under

Macca

Unread post by Macca » 2017-02-11, 15:06

Nelraen wrote: 1. Uninstall the non-working variant (maybe disable also works. I do not know. Also, a settings save would be great to have in hindsight)
Disable works. He shouldn't even have to bother changing any settings, since his old preferences will still be there.

Octopuss

Unread post by Octopuss » 2017-02-11, 15:20

dark_moon wrote:
Octopuss wrote:Does the tester tool affect peformance or something? How does it work? Is it something that does changes to the RES files, or is it like another layer between the extension and the browser? If it's the latter, I don't think I like it :(
Read https://github.com/JustOff/moon-tester-tool/
Rightclick on the AMO button, instead of leftclick. Then just choice download/ save under
That doesn't answer my question.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-02-11, 15:32

The tool from JustOff just force the extension installation. Not else.
No performance etc. are changed.
No layer.

Why not just try it and see?

Rekov

Unread post by Rekov » 2017-02-11, 16:42

Oh, thanks Nelraen. That worked perfectly!

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2017-02-12, 07:03

Here's an odd one - NoSquint version 2.1.6.1 and newer works perfectly fine AFAICT, but it causes Pale Moon's built-in HTML5 audio/video player controls to be completely missing.

A simple workaround is to just use NoSquint version 2.1.5.1.

Example HTML5-compatible audio:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... _Turka.ogg

Example HTML5-compatible video:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... -15bis.ogv

pizzadude

Unread post by pizzadude » 2017-02-12, 07:52

The latest version of Lastpass (from lastpass.com, not the AMO) works fine if installed with Moon Tester Tool.

You need to download it with wget since hitting the "download" button doesn't actually download it, it tries to install it (which fails because it needs to be installed with Moon Tester Tool)

Code: Select all

wget https://lastpass.com/lastpassffx/xpi.php -O lpffx.xpi
So does Video DownloadHelper.