DownloadHelper 4.9.24.1 doesn't work on PM 27

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

LegitimateGrapes

DownloadHelper 4.9.24.1 doesn't work on PM 27

Unread post by LegitimateGrapes » 2016-11-28, 03:03

DownloadHelper 4.9.24.1 was pretty outdated, but it could still capture a couple video and audio files when it works. Since I updated Palemoon to 27 though DownloadHelper 4.9.24.1 has stopped working completely.

Is there an alternative to DownloadHelper on Palemoon that I didn't know about? I could really use one that works for version 27.

RedRamGT
Moon lover
Moon lover

Re: DownloadHelper 4.9.24.1 doesn't work on PM 27

Unread post by RedRamGT » 2016-11-28, 03:16

Yes, there is an alternative that seems to work okay. It is called "Video Download Professional", you can get it here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rofession/

Before you install it, be sure to remove DownloadHelper...

marqpas

Unread post by marqpas » 2016-11-28, 07:22

Just registered to say thanks for some 3 years of happy Pale Moon use after Firefox became a disaster. I only used 3 add-ons for happy browsing, and PM27 broke all of them in an instant. Adblock, Ghostery and Videodownloadhelper. Even jumping through the hoops of reinstalling 26.5 and 26.4 didn't help.
Registering on this forum for this one post took me through the full horror of internet without blocked ads. So, my hundreds of convenient bookmarks are gone now, and so am I. It was nice while it lasted.

Developers have to understand one thing: Users use your product because they like using it. Users keep using your product because they keep liking it.
Users do not care what is and what is not in your job description, or how you phrase the breaking of their happy user experience.

Again, thanks for the years of happy PM browsing.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-11-28, 14:32

marqpas wrote:Just registered to say thanks for some 3 years of happy Pale Moon use after Firefox became a disaster. I only used 3 add-ons for happy browsing, and PM27 broke all of them in an instant. Adblock, Ghostery and Videodownloadhelper. Even jumping through the hoops of reinstalling 26.5 and 26.4 didn't help.
Registering on this forum for this one post took me through the full horror of internet without blocked ads. So, my hundreds of convenient bookmarks are gone now, and so am I. It was nice while it lasted.

Developers have to understand one thing: Users use your product because they like using it. Users keep using your product because they keep liking it.
Users do not care what is and what is not in your job description, or how you phrase the breaking of their happy user experience.

Honeslty you can't blame the browser for the loss of you bookmarks, since I didn't lose any of mine.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2016-11-29, 05:29

marqpas wrote:Developers have to understand one thing: Users use your product because they like using it. Users keep using your product because they keep liking it.

Please remember that before update any program you need to made a backup of your data. Also is sad that you leave the ship, just remember that Mozilla will discard these plugins in Q3-Q4 of 2017. This is not a warning or else, just to remind you that you will need to made a plan B for the incoming changes in the whole Firefox game. :(

LegitimateGrapes

Unread post by LegitimateGrapes » 2016-11-29, 19:27

RedRamGT wrote:Yes, there is an alternative that seems to work okay. It is called "Video Download Professional", you can get it here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rofession/

Before you install it, be sure to remove DownloadHelper...
Do you have one with video detection functionality like download helper? video downloader profession only works for select few sites, but I need something that works on the lesser known sites.

LegitimateGrapes

Unread post by LegitimateGrapes » 2016-12-03, 05:19

An other suggestions for video downloaders? So far I only know downloadhelper that can capture generic video streams on a website. Surely there must other options too, right?

Male Poon

Unread post by Male Poon » 2016-12-03, 13:19

I just started using one called Complete YouTube Saver. So far it seems better than the old one.

Male Poon

Unread post by Male Poon » 2016-12-03, 13:36

marqpas wrote:Just registered to say thanks for some 3 years of happy Pale Moon use after Firefox became a disaster. I only used 3 add-ons for happy browsing, and PM27 broke all of them in an instant.

lobocursor wrote:... is sad that you leave the ship, just remember that Mozilla will discard these plugins in Q3-Q4 of 2017. This is not a warning or else, just to remind you that you will need to made a plan B for the incoming changes in the whole Firefox game. :(
I agree wholeheartedly with marqpas. I just spent a good chunk of my week replacing most of my add-ons, and now I have to accustom myself to a whole new browsing experience as I get used to all the quirks of the new ones. It's a pain in the balls.

I would remind marqpas, though, per lobocursor, that it isn't just Pale Moon doing this: this is the nature of the software industry, and I'd hesitate to take a swing at Pale Moon for doing what everybody else does, especially when it's a volunteer project.

Though if you'd asked me about this 3 days ago, I wouldn't have been nearly so magnanimous. I guess my blood pressure's come back down since then.

Here, then, is a gentle reminder to developers everywhere: you're all familiar with the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well, please bear in mind that as far as the user is concerned, it ain't broke. If we weren't happy with how your product works, we'd be using a different product. Maintaining continuity of the user experience ought to be priority #1.

Imagine if you took your car to a mechanic for regular maintenance, but they moved the seat 3 inches forward and put the radio deck in the back of your headrest. And then imagine that they did something like that every time. That's the experience of using software in this day and age, and it's driving me mental.

I know this is off-topic but I have to get it off my chest somewhere.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-12-03, 14:06

Male Poon wrote:
marqpas wrote:Just registered to say thanks for some 3 years of happy Pale Moon use after Firefox became a disaster. I only used 3 add-ons for happy browsing, and PM27 broke all of them in an instant.

lobocursor wrote:... is sad that you leave the ship, just remember that Mozilla will discard these plugins in Q3-Q4 of 2017. This is not a warning or else, just to remind you that you will need to made a plan B for the incoming changes in the whole Firefox game. :(
I agree wholeheartedly with marqpas. I just spent a good chunk of my week replacing most of my add-ons, and now I have to accustom myself to a whole new browsing experience as I get used to all the quirks of the new ones. It's a pain in the balls.

I would remind marqpas, though, per lobocursor, that it isn't just Pale Moon doing this: this is the nature of the software industry, and I'd hesitate to take a swing at Pale Moon for doing what everybody else does, especially when it's a volunteer project.

Though if you'd asked me about this 3 days ago, I wouldn't have been nearly so magnanimous. I guess my blood pressure's come back down since then.

Here, then, is a gentle reminder to developers everywhere: you're all familiar with the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well, please bear in mind that as far as the user is concerned, it ain't broke. If we weren't happy with how your product works, we'd be using a different product. Maintaining continuity of the user experience ought to be priority #1.

Imagine if you took your car to a mechanic for regular maintenance, but they moved the seat 3 inches forward and put the radio deck in the back of your headrest. And then imagine that they did something like that every time. That's the experience of using software in this day and age, and it's driving me mental.

I know this is off-topic but I have to get it off my chest somewhere.
You really can't blame the developers over the loss of your extensions really
The reason why Jetpack compatibility was lost is because PM27 uses a newer platform that no longer has that functionality. Losing Jetpack support wasn't intentional but it was a consequence of the shift in platforms, which needed to happen to maintain compatibility with many types of newer websites. To add back Jetpack support would basically require the entire browser backend to be rewritten, so we have to move on.

LegitimateGrapes

Unread post by LegitimateGrapes » 2016-12-03, 18:50

Male Poon wrote:I just started using one called Complete YouTube Saver. So far it seems better than the old one.
Is there something other than youtube savor though? So far in this thread, all I have gotten is a video downloader for the big video hosting sites like youtube, but nothing for general video stream downloader

I need something that detects video streams on a generic webpage and downloads it. I need something that can detect videos from jwplayer and megavideo and stuff.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-12-03, 20:14

LegitimateGrapes wrote:
Male Poon wrote:I just started using one called Complete YouTube Saver. So far it seems better than the old one.
Is there something other than youtube savor though? So far in this thread, all I have gotten is a video downloader for the big video hosting sites like youtube, but nothing for general video stream downloader

I need something that detects video streams on a generic webpage and downloads it. I need something that can detect videos from jwplayer and megavideo and stuff.
Flashgot should work

LegitimateGrapes

Unread post by LegitimateGrapes » 2016-12-04, 03:59

half-moon wrote:
LegitimateGrapes wrote:

Flashgot should work
Does flashgot work without having to use external downloaders though? My impression from the description was that it's designed for external downloaders. That was the thing that keeps me on the fence.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-12-04, 13:53

LegitimateGrapes wrote:
half-moon wrote:
LegitimateGrapes wrote:

Flashgot should work
Does flashgot work without having to use external downloaders though? My impression from the description was that it's designed for external downloaders. That was the thing that keeps me on the fence.
You do not need an external download manager, nor do you need an other extensions to use it.

LegitimateGrapes

Unread post by LegitimateGrapes » 2016-12-04, 18:51

So far flashgot seems to work, but not on its own though. It does recognize video stream addresses, but I can't download the videos using default browser downloader.

It only works when I pair it up with downloadthemall addon.

Male Poon

Unread post by Male Poon » 2016-12-06, 06:14

half-moon wrote: You really can't blame the developers over the loss of your extensions really
The reason why Jetpack compatibility was lost is because PM27 uses a newer platform that no longer has that functionality. Losing Jetpack support wasn't intentional but it was a consequence of the shift in platforms, which needed to happen to maintain compatibility with many types of newer websites. To add back Jetpack support would basically require the entire browser backend to be rewritten, so we have to move on.
Well, again, I'm not having a go at PM developers because they're volunteering and it's free... but isn't that quote exactly what I was talking about? When it came to the crunch, continuity of user experience was not the number one priority.
LegitimateGrapes wrote:

Well, bugger me, turns out Complete Youtube Saver only works on Youtube. What a let down. I used to use something called Video Download Helper but it's been getting increasingly crappy anyway.

Guess I'll give FlashGot a go. Thanks whoever recommended that.

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2016-12-06, 10:26

I've had Complete YouTube Saver working on other sites as well. Just right-click the video and save :-)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-12-06, 11:38

As mentioned, the FlashGot/DownThemAll combination is probably your best bet for now. It should work without the need for DTA but I think the inability to work with the browser's internal downloader is a current FlashGot bug.

Complete YouTube Saver is the best for YT but it's not supposed to work on other websites, at least not without reaching their set goals on Patreon. If you want the very best in video grabbing for all sites, you'll have to pay for IDM. It does not integrate fully with PM (contact them and complain) but it works on some websites, and for the ones it doesn't I just open IE.
Off-topic:
Citing "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in a fast-moving world such as the Web is the epitome of user ignorance and I'm mostly referring to marqpas' single 'adieu' post, filled with dramatic theatricality, incorrect data and known problematic, incompatible extensions. Blaming the free browser's developers for extension problems and not being responsible enough as a user to have a bookmarks backup is a bit too much arrogance imho. Even more so in relation to a browser with limited resources that is inevitably forced to "catch up" at times by the Web itself.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-12-06, 14:19

Male Poon wrote:
half-moon wrote: You really can't blame the developers over the loss of your extensions really
Well, again, I'm not having a go at PM developers because they're volunteering and it's free... but isn't that quote exactly what I was talking about? When it came to the crunch, continuity of user experience was not the number one priority.
It's kind of hypocritical to say "I'm not having a go at the developers", and then say something false "they don't care about the users".

Common Sense would dictate that if user continuity wasn't a priority, then PM would look and act a lot differently than it does now. Please think before spewing words out of your ass.
Last edited by half-moon on 2016-12-06, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-12-06, 14:20

back2themoon wrote:
Off-topic:
Citing "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in a fast-moving world such as the Web is the epitome of user ignorance and I'm mostly referring to marqpas' single 'adieu' post, filled with dramatic theatricality, incorrect data and known problematic, incompatible extensions. Blaming the free browser's developers for extension problems and not being responsible enough as a user to have a bookmarks backup is a bit too much arrogance imho. Even more so in relation to a browser with limited resources that is inevitably forced to "catch up" at times by the Web itself.
I can only completely agree.
Off-topic:
Sorry for the double post.