Open With 5.6.3.1 is not working anymore?

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Moon Flyer

Open With 5.6.3.1 is not working anymore?

Unread post by Moon Flyer » 2016-10-03, 11:00

Hi,

I'm a new user, I switched from Firefox and tried to install add-ons with the add-ons page. Unfortunately, Open With 5.6.3.1 doesn't work and I don't think I can find an alternative that easily.

Am I the only one who has this problem? I'm also having problems with Encrypted Web... Pale Moon seems very great for me, it's a shame that these developers are not interested in it. A browser depends a lot of the add-ons I'm afraid.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Open With 5.6.3.1 is not working anymore?

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-10-03, 14:41

Regarding 'Open With'...
I just installed Open With v5.6.3.1-signed to PM 26.5 (Win 7 x86) and found it fully functional. It also installed and worked properly for me with Tycho (PM 27.0.0a2).

What specific problem/s are you having with it?
(Also, please provide general background information such as your OS, version of Pale Moon etc.)

Gary5

Unread post by Gary5 » 2016-10-12, 23:55

Both of those extensions work fine for me in PM 26.5.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-03-07, 12:08

I'd like to announce that starting from version 6.8 Open With officially supports Pale Moon 27. You can install it directly from AMO, ignoring that it listed as incompatible with Firefox 27.9 (this is known issue caused that AMO doesn't serves Pale Moon properly).

In case of any problem please fill an issue on GitHub, instead of complaining via review at AMO.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-03-07, 13:10

Many thanks for your work JustOff, new version works just fine (Edge can now be added, too).

5.6.3.1 always worked without issues.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-03-07, 14:12

JustOff wrote:(this is known issue caused that AMO doesn't serves Pale Moon properly).
this explains why my addons lost the ability to auto update..

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-07, 14:32

Well it is more complicated then that.

AMO will serve updates to Pale Moon IF the minimum Firefox application version is 24.9/27.9 or lower (depending if 26 or 27). This is totally expected.. Sure, fine..

The big ISSUE comes in where if extensions are set to a higher Firefox minimum version then lowered again say to target a theoretical Firefox version that falls in the rage of what Pale Moon claims to be to AMO. In this case, most if not all extensions will not serve because it was previously set higher.

This was a reported bug to Mozilla and does affect Firefox as much as it does us and they deemed it not important to fix. This issue seems to have been introduced around the same time the signing was added.

The fact is.. Eventually, we are not going to be able to rely on AMO as a fallback in the future for really anything. They are right now prepping to change their internal APIs for service requests and the question of preservation of something we can parse is in question. My guess is they will either half-ass it or not do it at all.

This is why Project Phoebus is so damned important and despite my general non-involvement in developmental aspects since last year I am continuing to advance our Add-ons Site software to take up these duties and make it easier for developers to be able to submit new add-ons.

And YES.. I am quite aware of the fact that I been saying this for going on two and a half years but if you notice.. It is actually happening now.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-03-07, 15:08

Matt A Tobin wrote:The big ISSUE comes in where if extensions are set to a higher Firefox minimum version then lowered again say to target a theoretical Firefox version that falls in the rage of what Pale Moon claims to be to AMO. In this case, most if not all extensions will not serve because it was previously set higher.
very curious bug..
Matt A Tobin wrote:The fact is.. Eventually, we are not going to be able to rely on AMO as a fallback in the future for really anything
i'm sure most PM users only wish for AMO to at least remain as an extension archive.. if Mozilla cannot even do so..

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-03-07, 15:37

fillerup wrote:if Mozilla cannot even do so..
They just don't want, so we have to deal with this somehow. I think it would make sense to continue this discussion where it was already started (let's skip misunderstandings occured in the middle of it).

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-03-07, 16:38

I'm certainly happy to know Open With 5.6.3.1 does in fact work with PM 27.1.2, I find this add-on totally indispensable at times. :thumbup:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

JustOff

Open With 6.8 supports Pale Moon 27 officially

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-03-07, 16:45

Pale Moon Rising wrote:I'm certainly happy to know Open With 5.6.3.1 does in fact work with PM 27.1.2, I find this add-on totally indispensable at times. :thumbup:
Can't say nothing about 5.6.3.1, but Open With 6.8 now supports Pale Moon 27 officially, as it was announced today.
Last edited by JustOff on 2017-03-07, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Open With 5.8 supports Pale Moon 27 officially

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-03-07, 17:05

JustOff wrote:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:I'm certainly happy to know Open With 5.6.3.1 does in fact work with PM 27.1.2, I find this add-on totally indispensable at times. :thumbup:
Can't say nothing about 5.6.3.1, but Open With 6.8 now supports Pale Moon 27 officially, as it was announced today.
That's good to know, however in my case "Check for Updates" in the Add-ons Manager does not list any updates (beyond v5.6.3.1) for the "Open With" add-on.
Check for Updates.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

JustOff

Re: Open With 6.8 supports Pale Moon 27 officially

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-03-07, 17:11

Pale Moon Rising wrote:That's good to know, however in my case "Check for Updates" in the Add-ons Manager does not list any updates (beyond v5.6.3.1) for the "Open With" add-on.
This is known issue mentioned in announce and explained in detail above by Tobin. I already invited the author of Open With to join addons.palemoon.org, but have not received the answer yet. So the only way for now is the manual install of new version.