ATI/AMD systems + recent crashes (StackHash)

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

ATI/AMD systems + recent crashes (StackHash)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-04-19, 21:18

NOTE: This only pertains to specific crashes in the Microsoft "StackHash" module on AMD/ATI Windows x64 systems! It doesn't apply to anything else!

I've today run into crashes similar to those people have reported with different applications (where one particular OpenCL application gave me a hint where to look), and it seems to be related to a certain version of the AMD APP SDK. I think it may be something to do with an incompatibility of a recent MS update with a certain version of the AMD video driver suite -- After clean-upgrading my video driver to 13.12 (the latest stable release from AMD) the problems went away. It seems to hit specifically 64-bit versions of Win 7 and Win 8/8.1, where Windows 8 is more sensitive.

Symptoms: Application Crashes
Details: When checking more details in the crash dialog box (Link at the bottom "View problem details"), you will see a mention of the faulting module, where the module is "StackHash" with a few characters after it, e.g. "StackHash_0a9e".
Cause: Specific version of the AMD APP SDK installed on your system
Workaround: Uninstall the AMD APP SDK (if possible), but this may cause problems with some applications or games - OpenCL will no longer be supported.
Solution:
  1. Use the AMD Catalyst (un)install manager (In Programs and Features) to remove all AMD software (express uninstall all AMD software)
  2. Use the AMD Cleanup utility to clean leftovers
  3. Check for the following files in c:\windows\system32 and c:\windows\syswow64: amdocl.dll, amdocl*.exe and opencl.dll
    If you find those, delete them.
  4. Install the latest AMD catalyst suite for your graphics card from the AMD website: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

GMugford

Re: ATI/AMD systems + recent crashes (StackHash)

Unread post by GMugford » 2014-05-31, 17:15

Moonchild,

I am getting a 401 UNAUTHORIZED message when clicking on the link to the AMD Cleanup Utility.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2014-05-31, 20:27

The cleanup routine is at: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... ivers.aspx

AMD played a little trickery with their redirects, I think, it had me foxed a while ago as well.

There's also a 'drivers only' install routine here for ruling out other potential CCC/optional components issues, I try to ensure this stays updated :)

GMugford

Unread post by GMugford » 2014-05-31, 22:44

Satrow,

Appreciate the updated link to the routine. Moonchild, perhaps you might want to change the wording of your post to use the word routine, rather than utility. I was expecting to get an exe that would eliminate the elbow grease, but a how to guide even a personal of limited technical skills can follow is good enough.

I'm going to try this because I've had a series of abrupt Pale Moon crashes when load a series of tabs (about ten), in which one of them is a page or two from the www.torontosun.com site. I've narrowed it down to those two suspects, both of which have video files on them (or at least several links to the same). The result seems to require a combination of one or both PLUS something else going on. Either clicking on a different tab within Pale Moon or clicking on a Chrome GMail session link (I have multiple monitors and multiple web-browsers open continuously ... and using Chrome for Google sites seems to be right). The crash is quick and without much pre-amble. When I'm TRYING for it, I never see the Not Responding notice in Startup Manager before the crash. It just crashes. And with only the OK button to move on.

Reading Moonchild's original post has me at least a little optimistic that this might be a solution.

Again, thanks to both of you, GM.