Cannot update 27.2.1 to 27.3

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Cannot update 27.2.1 to 27.3

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-05-22, 18:19

I now use a process with Pale Moon where I actually use as many as 3 different copies. My primary copy is on my hard drive and is not updated until I know the new version will work OK. That is where the other two copies factor in. These are both Portable versions which reside on a USB drive. One is a duplicate of the version on the hard drive. The duplicate was created to test that hard drive version before upgrading it from the older version. I keep the Portable version and set to always use Private browsing whereas the hard drive version allows history and search/form info. That Poratble version can also be taken with me if i need it. The third version only gets created when and update/upgrade is released and is the Portable version for it. This becomes the current test version where I try to make sure it will function well on my system before I upgrade the hard drive version. Of course the new test portable version is always a clean install.

I had reached the point in my process where it was time to upgrade the hard drive version to 27.3, make the Portable 27.3 a private mode always version and relegate the portable 27.2 .1 to being an emergenct back up until the next new version is released.

Right now my hard drive version is 27.2.1 but I have been working with Portable 27.3.0 long enough to want to upgrade the hard drive version. I wanted to have my settings etc kept in place. However, when I try to do the upgrade, I get told Pale Moon is already up to date but it shoes the current version as being 27.2.1. I am unable to update for some reason. I do not want to have to start from scratch with 27.3 on the hard drive as it will take some time to reconfigure it (a bunch of changes in about:config, extensions, bookmarks, etc.) and that means a lot of chances for me to make mistakes.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and am using the 64 bit versions of Pale Moon as well. Aside from the update issue, 27.2.1 has been working pretty well for me. I do the security only rollup update for Windows 7 and have been doing this since last November.

Any suggests or ideas are greatly appreciated. If more information is required, please let me know.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Cannot update 27.2.1 to 27.3

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-22, 19:28

Look in about:config for a preference that says: app.update.never.27.2.1

If it's there, R-click and choose "Reset".

See https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13021&hilit=cannot+update

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-22, 22:56

CORRECTION:
Look in about:config for a preference that says: app.update.never.27.3

If it's there, R-click and choose "Reset".

See https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13021&hilit=cannot+update

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-05-23, 13:43

@coffeebreak

TY, that did the trick.

My mistake in searching the forums for help was my terminology. I was too specific because i tried to include version numbers. However, I just tried searching the forums for help using the term Cannot update and then added the words pale Moon. There are 29 pages of responses and at least on the first few pages none appear to have appropriate titles. There is no way any reasonable person would wade through all that trying to find an answer.

I wonder what search term would have found that answer from 2013????

The title you linked to from 2016 was entitled "Check for update wrong answer" I would never have imagined that was the thread with my answer. And I am a pretty skilled searcher.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson