Printing from 27.2.0 is very small

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
eldiener

Printing from 27.2.0 is very small

Unread post by eldiener » 2017-03-25, 16:35

When I attempt to print any web page from within Pale Moon 27.2.0 the so-called page being printed is incredibly small and occupies maybe 5% of the actual page on a printer. Somehow the Pale Moon printing function is broken for me, which makes printing from a web page under Pale Moon pretty worthless right now. Somehow Pale Moon's latest update under Windows has broken the Print functionality. Miniscule prints of web page data cannot be correct.

Gandalfdjh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Printing from 27.2.0 is very small

Unread post by Gandalfdjh » 2017-03-25, 19:21

Good day:

It seems that I have no issue in PM 64. Have you tried an new user profile or possibly a reinstall of PM? :)
Image1911 remains the service pistol for all ages!
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." — Theodore Roosevelt

eldiener

Unread post by eldiener » 2017-03-26, 00:27

Gandalfdjh wrote:Good day:

It seems that I have no issue in PM 64. Have you tried an new user profile or possibly a reinstall of PM? :)
I am not going to create a new profile from scratch and lose all my settings and my links. Reinstalling PM again can hardly make any difference.

Here is more information:

1) The Print Preview and Print functionality shows and prints very tiny when running Pale Moon on my 27" wide screen monitor, but shows and prints correctly from my older 21" monitor.
2) Mozilla Firefox Print Preview and Print functionality shows and prints correctly when running Firefox on both my 27" monitor and my older 21" monitor.
3) Everything works correctly on my laptop 17" monitor.

I do not know what the problem is but there is most probably a bug in PM when running on widescreen monitors and having to calculate the size of the print image from the size of the web page being displayed by the widescreen monitor.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-03-26, 00:58

eldiener wrote:I am not going to create a new profile from scratch and lose all my settings and my links
Creating a new profile will not cause you to lose your settings and links. They will all still be in your old profile, which will be untouched by the new profile. Good instructions for how to do so (and to restart in safe mode, to attempt to eliminate any extensions being the culprit) are here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8240
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Gandalfdjh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Gandalfdjh » 2017-03-26, 13:55

eldiener wrote:I do not know what the problem is but there is most probably a bug in PM when running on widescreen monitors and having to calculate the size of the print image from the size of the web page being displayed by the widescreen monitor.
I have tested the print on different sizes of screen, regular and wide screen. No issues. Win 10 PM 64 bit.

eldiener

Unread post by eldiener » 2017-03-26, 18:31

Gandalfdjh wrote:
eldiener wrote:I do not know what the problem is but there is most probably a bug in PM when running on widescreen monitors and having to calculate the size of the print image from the size of the web page being displayed by the widescreen monitor.
I have tested the print on different sizes of screen, regular and wide screen. No issues. Win 10 PM 64 bit.
Attached are screenshots for PaleMoon and Firefox print previews of the top of this message on the forum. You can see the difference in what is shown. Maybe this will help in solving my problem.
Firefox preview screen shot
Firefox preview screen shot
Pale Moon preview screen shot
Pale Moon preview screen shot

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-03-26, 18:44

eldiener wrote:Attached are screenshots for PaleMoon and Firefox print previews of the top of this message on the forum. You can see the difference in what is shown.
Gandalfdjh wrote:Have you tried an new user profile or possibly a reinstall of PM?
Or even restarting in safe mode, just to rule out the possibility that an extension is causing this?
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

eldiener

Unread post by eldiener » 2017-03-26, 21:28

Nigaikaze wrote:
eldiener wrote:Attached are screenshots for PaleMoon and Firefox print previews of the top of this message on the forum. You can see the difference in what is shown.
Gandalfdjh wrote:Have you tried an new user profile or possibly a reinstall of PM?
Or even restarting in safe mode, just to rule out the possibility that an extension is causing this?
I disabled all my plugins but the problem persisted.

I temporarily tried another new profile and the problem went away.

How I am to determine what it is in my current profile that is causing the problem I do not know. Is there a way of saving all my bookmarks for the current profile and then switching to the new profile and restoring those bookmarks ? What about my applications ? I just do not want to have to switch to a new profile and then recreate everything all over again which I have in Pale Moon.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-03-26, 21:35

Have you carefully checked your Page Setup and printer settings?

eldiener

Unread post by eldiener » 2017-03-26, 23:16

back2themoon wrote:Have you carefully checked your Page Setup and printer settings?
The problem I am seeing is that the printer being used by Pale Moon in my old profile has Paper Size: User Defined.. in its Properties while the actual settings for that printer under Windows8.1 has Paper Size Legal in its Printer Properties. In fact Pale Moon is not picking up my printer's default settings at all in my old profile while it is in my new profile. If I change the Printer Properties to correctly specify the same as those under Windows8.1 my print out is of the correct size, but going back to the Pale Moon Print... dialog once again shows my printer's properties as User Defined... and not corresponding to my Windows8.1 default at all.

Gandalfdjh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Gandalfdjh » 2017-03-26, 23:27

Thus if the new profile works, you might look at this link: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14800&p=106653&hil ... up#p106653
eldiener wrote:I temporarily tried another new profile and the problem went away.

How I am to determine what it is in my current profile that is causing the problem I do not know. Is there a way of saving all my bookmarks for the current profile and then switching to the new profile and restoring those bookmarks ? What about my applications ? I just do not want to have to switch to a new profile and then recreate everything all over again which I have in Pale Moon.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-03-26, 23:52

You can try resetting the printer's settings to its defaults (you might have such an option in the printer's settings), or even uninstall and re-install the printer. Also: Reset printer setting

eldiener

Unread post by eldiener » 2017-03-28, 15:43

This was eventually solved by applying item number 2 from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=216. Thanks to everyone who offered help with this problem.