Netflix and Facebook

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Richvideo

Netflix and Facebook

Unread post by Richvideo » 2016-12-01, 22:29

Netflix and Facebook have issues with the most recent build of Pale Moon

Netflix-The link to MY List does not work so I don't have the ability to access the drag and drop Netflix list

Facebook-If I open a photo or video link in a new tab the page endlessly refreshes

Gandalfdjh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Netflix and Facebook

Unread post by Gandalfdjh » 2016-12-02, 12:13

Having similar issues with Netflix.
Image1911 remains the service pistol for all ages!
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." — Theodore Roosevelt

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-02, 13:16

Netflix has forced us to use an override to have them serve a different UI. They made changes so that the "new" UI they have on the site no longer completes loading.
Once it becomes clear why there are loading issues and those can be fixed, the override can be removed and you'll have more features again. Unfortunately Netflix has made it (painfully) clear that they don't support us and in fact will actively block Pale Moon if recognized as such. They only want to really serve the latest two versions of Firefox and Chrome, period. We can be lucky that streaming from them works to begin with because they clearly have no interest in being browser-friendly. This will make the process of finding out what the issue is and solving it a lot more difficult and time-consuming, since they will not in any way assist our development or provide information about changes they make to their website. Reverse-engineering will be the only way.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Gandalfdjh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Gandalfdjh » 2016-12-02, 13:21

Best of luck your devs.
Image1911 remains the service pistol for all ages!
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." — Theodore Roosevelt

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2016-12-02, 19:44

People need to start making some REAL noise & complain to the offending arrogant companies in their lives who are employing arbitrary UA sniffing & making their lives miserable. I've been doing my part, but if enough people don't constantly complain, this practice will only get worse, not better.

I've made my feelings known to many, including 2 banks I deal with this year. I actually went to my local bank, explained my displeasure to the branch manager & started a ticket about the UA sniffing, which was forwarded to the bank's IT department. Not surprisingly, I never got the courtesy of a reply... not even a FU reply. Nothing but crickets. A month later, I went back to the same branch manager & cancelled my accounts with them. He wasn't happy. My point being, if enough people took such a proactive stance, this practice might have a chance of being stopped, because if there's one thing huge, arrogant corporations understand, it's being hurt in the pocket book.

My next agenda is Netflix. I composed a short letter I was going to email to them, but apparently Netflix doesn't have a contact email address (that I could find), so I'll either mail it to them or call them. Every Netflix subscriber who uses Pale Moon should be doing something similar.
Well, I'n not happy at all right now with Netflix. Once again I'm forced to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out a workaround because of your irritating & intrusive practice of UA (User Agent) sniffing, which consistantly locks me out of, or doesn't fully load my account using the Pale Moon browser.

Your role is that of a service provider & should be browser friendly. My role is to pay you for those services & use the browser of my choice, in this case Pale Moon, and not be told (forced) to use either Chrome or Firefox. Pale Moon is my browser of choice. It is just as safe, secure & valid as the big 2 browsers. Netflix is, in effect, trying to creat an elitist walled garden with these arrogant tactics. Why??

If UA sniffing must be employed, then, at the very least, do it correctly by checking what browser & version is being used, instead of just arbitrarily blocking anything other than the big 2 browsers. This lazy approach on the part of the IT department is inexcusable and does nothing except alienate your paying customers, myself included.

It's a real possibility I'll cancel my Netflix account when my current gift card expires. I'm just tired of being pissed on and dictated to by arrogant, lazy corporations. It was a fun ride while it lasted. Goodbye.

Lassar
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Lassar » 2016-12-02, 23:11

Used whois to find out netflix's contact info:

Phone: +1-(408)-540-3700
Email: nicadmin@netflix.com

Bobert

Unread post by Bobert » 2016-12-02, 23:25

I'm wondering if Netflix only accepts Firefox and Chrome because of DRM friendliness?

The fact is there are too many poorly designed web sites anymore, and the list keeps growing everyday. :x

Richvideo

Unread post by Richvideo » 2016-12-03, 04:14

Here is a video showing the never ending refresh loop that happens when opening a Facebook image/video link in a new tab
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xcplmc023ud2s ... 0.mp4?dl=0

ChrisPierman

Unread post by ChrisPierman » 2016-12-04, 07:58

Yes, I've had the never-ending refresh loop for at least 3-4 versions of PM now. On one of my old laptops, PM is my only browser (besides Internet Eroder.) What I just do is click the stop button at an opportune time.

Have you tried a CLEAN install that doesn't use OLD profile? I myself have not yet.

ChrisPierman

Unread post by ChrisPierman » 2016-12-04, 08:04

Ok!

Yes, I have just tested with brand new profile created by Pale Moon itself and the refresh bug does not happen!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-04, 11:54

I'm not sure if Netflix is going to care about anything but "whatever client has the majority of site traffic".

What they have shown so far:
  • They lied to my face about supposedly "working with Pale Moon devs to solve the issue" (they didn't know I was the lead dev when I contacted them. Woopsie)
  • After contacting them about Pale Moon support, they started actively checking for Pale Moon UAs and blocking them :!:
  • Writing an actual official letter to their head office (yes, by post) to open a conversation with their management, as suggested by their lower levels of (otherwise friendly) support who can't make any sort of decisions at that level, went completely ignored.
So, they simply don't care about being a proper service provider. They don't care about quality, only quantity.
Of note: I still pay them a subscription myself, but the moment it breaks on Pale Moon in a way that is too inconvenient to work around, I will stop my subscription immediately and look into different streaming services (who are likely going to have more contemporary choice of content anyway).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-12-04, 23:14

Just to add,the looping picture problem has ceased altogether for me on facebook..
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Richvideo

Unread post by Richvideo » 2016-12-05, 08:51

I chatted with Neil Hunt who is the Chief product officer at Netflix on Saturday and he seemed to want to help, if you would like to email him directly to resolve the ongoing issues I can forward you his email address

Richvideo

Unread post by Richvideo » 2016-12-08, 04:57

Did anyone from the development team attempt to contact Neil Hunt at Netflix?

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2016-12-08, 06:27

Just wondering, what is the preferred way of using Netflix in PM? When I try to watch something it asks me to install Silverlight.
I'm not sure if I even can run 64-bit Silverlight, but the install page doesn't work so I take that as a no?
Is 32-bit plus Silverlight the preferred way to watch right now, until this issue can be sorted out?

When I signed up for Netflix PM was still in 26.5, so I didn't really expect much and used Firefox off the bat. If PM is compatible then it'd be cool to switch. For now I guess I'll just leave their customer support a message.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-08, 09:18

Richvideo wrote:Did anyone from the development team attempt to contact Neil Hunt at Netflix?
I've already gone through all the advised channels to contact Netflix management and was summarily ignored. I do not have direct contact details for this person.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2016-12-08, 14:59

Moonchild wrote:
Richvideo wrote:Did anyone from the development team attempt to contact Neil Hunt at Netflix?
I've already gone through all the advised channels to contact Netflix management and was summarily ignored. I do not have direct contact details for this person.
Richvideo wrote:I chatted with Neil Hunt who is the Chief product officer at Netflix on Saturday and he seemed to want to help, if you would like to email him directly to resolve the ongoing issues I can forward you his email address

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-08, 15:52

rabnbeinn wrote:
Moonchild wrote:
Richvideo wrote:I chatted with Neil Hunt who is the Chief product officer at Netflix on Saturday and he seemed to want to help, if you would like to email him directly to resolve the ongoing issues I can forward you his email address
Nothing was forwarded to me, and instead I was just asked if I had contacted him already. Well, I can't, now, can I?

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2016-12-08, 16:10

Maybe Richvideo is waiting for you to ask for his E-mail. :thumbup:

Richvideo

Unread post by Richvideo » 2016-12-08, 20:09

Just sent a PM to Moonchild with the info, hopefully it leads to cooperation on Netflix's end to resolve the issues