Cant Access New Verizon Router in 27.2.1

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Cant Access New Verizon Router in 27.2.1

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-27, 04:08

I finally made the move to 64 bit 27.2.1. Took a while but it appeared to be working just fine. Today, Verizon upgraded our FIOS system. We also decided to upgrade our Verizon Router to the Gateway G1100. While a lot of this router is intended for wireless use, we do not need this. I have nothing wireless and connect my PC directly to the router via an ethernet cable as does my brother. We do have a second router for wireless which also connects to the Verizon unit via ethernet. The 2nd router is in another room and was set up like this years ago. My brother uses this for his laptop.

I wanted to get into the new router's settings for the non-wireless part of things. They offer two ways to do this via one's browser. One is to type myfiosgateway.com in the addy bar. The other is to type the numerical addy, https://192.168.1.1

When I try the word one, PM fills in the http//www. and I get a server not found error. if I use the nemerical versio, I get the bad certificate get me out of here page, I say its OK and to add a permanent exception. It lets me through to the Router page where it asks me to enter the Password. The problem is the page is dead. No Pale Moon controls work except the close X. I have tried restarting in safe mode, allowing pretty much everything like popups etc. Trying in Firefox mode doesn't help and I have the same issue with the old copy of FF 28 I have for emergencies.

I tried changing the setting for completing urls missing the http and/or www or the .com at the end. No help.

I am not sure if the problem is on the Verizon side or the Pale Moon/FF side. I will spend most of tomorrow on the phone with Verizon I am sure as dealing with customer service is like trying to swim through molasses.

Any FIOS users out there have any ideas?
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Cant Access New Verizon Router in 27.2.1

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-27, 16:35

Just a quick update- I spent about an hour on the phone with Verizon. His first idea was to reset the router. Unfortunately, I could not try this until the end of the day as my brother works from home and I could not knock out the phone and internet without creating issues for him. I will try this when he is done for the day.

However, the Verizon tech support person felt it was probably a defect in the router and he is sending a replacement. I am dubious that this is the issue. If the reset works I can cancel/return the replacement unit. The only other cause for this situation would likely be something related to both P M 27.2.1 and FF 28 which doesn't like the new router since neither will not access it. I can say that the Verizon site does not like the native mode in P M. I have to switch to FF mode to make things there work.

I am actually starting to miss the old days of dial up. It may have been as slow as a herd of turtles, but things worked most of the time.
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-28, 21:43

Continuing to Update-

The new router came. I was not able to try the reset option on the original router last night, but I did so today. When I was done I still could not get into the router using P M. However, FF 28 then worked. But getting to the guts took chatting with tech support. But I can now access it all using FF.

I can type the version of the IP addy FF displays on the login page which is http://192.168.1.1/#/login This gets me to the login page for the router. I can the pword, but when I hit enter it goes to a page that is frozen. It does not get me into the router. And because the browser has locked up, I cannot even use the troubleshooter in Help.

I am sure the problem is being caused by something in Pale Moon's settings. I have changed or turned off everything I can think of to no avail. It is very frustrating to have P M not work but FF 28, which is antiquated and unsafe, does. I thought these sort of problems had all ended for me with 27.2.1.

ps I have tried all 3 modes, FF, Gecko and Native to no avail.

Gandalfdjh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Gandalfdjh » 2017-04-29, 12:33

Have you tried the latest update to 27.3.0?
Image1911 remains the service pistol for all ages!
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." — Theodore Roosevelt

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-04-29, 19:13

Re 27.3.0, no I have not. However, I never do any update when it first comes out, not for anything. I always wait until I am reasonably certain it isn't buggy. I have been doing this for a number of years now. This all started when I used Firefox and had never even heard of Pale Moon. It spread to Windows and then to almost everything else.

But the thing here is that it doesn't matter from a practical standpoint. I got FF 28 to work. Since one is not online to adjust router settings, I have no risk in that respect. And, if I absolutely must, I could use one of my brothers devices to access the router. He has Chrome, IE and Edge and uses a mix of Win 7 and 10. He uses the same router for his PC and big screen laptop and wi-fi for the smaller screen laptop.