Download directory

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Sajjan

Download directory

Unread post by Sajjan » 2012-05-13, 23:59

I have Windows XP Prof SP3.
I have IE, Firefox, Opera and Pale Moon Portable.
I have a common Download destination Directory "C:\Download" where all my downloads are saved.

In the Options > General >
> Save Files to I have tweaked "C:\Download" as download destination for all downloads.
> then I have clicked "Always ask me where to save files".

In other browsers including FF, once I download a file into "C:\Download", this directory stays active directory for all subsequent downloads, until I change destination.
Pale Moon Portable it has one directory "C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\Downloads". When I download a file in "C:\Download", it should stay active directory for all subsequent downloads. But my last downloaded directory does not stay active. Every time I download a file I have to manually change destination directory from "C:\Program Files\Pale Moon\Downloads" to "C:\Download".

Is there any add on or tweak to remember last destination directory for downloads ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Download directory

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-05-14, 07:04

This is by design. The portable is designed to be run from a removable medium and therefore resets the download path upon start-up to prevent having a non-existing path set when the browser is moved to a different system.

That being said, you can change this behavior:
  1. Open Palemoon-Portable.ini in notepad or your favorite editor.
  2. Find the following code:

Code: Select all

;(download directory)
    browser.download.lastDir=$Download$|\\"
  3. Comment out the second line with a semicolon at the start:

Code: Select all

;(download directory)
    ;browser.download.lastDir=$Download$|\\"
  4. Save the file as user.ini in the same folder
As an aside, for a regular installation on your hard disk in C:\Program Files\ with desktop integration and desktop browser behavior, the portable version is not recommended because it has multiple settings (including this one) that are specific for mobile use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajjan

Re: Download directory

Unread post by Sajjan » 2012-05-15, 12:06

Moonchild Sir,
Thank you and it works.
As an aside, for a regular installation on your hard disk in C:\Program Files\ with desktop integration and desktop browser behavior, the portable version is not recommended because it has multiple settings (including this one) that are specific for mobile use.
I use portable version for I have four computers and I keep them synchronized for all settings Sir.
Also I must say, Pale Moon is much better than parent Firefox.
Best of luck Sir.