updating Portable Pale Moon versions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
era043

updating Portable Pale Moon versions

Unread post by era043 » 2014-11-20, 18:51

I always do manual updates for portable Pale Moon (we're not allowed to install programs of our choosing on our work computers, but Pale Moon is my browser of choice). Would someone please tell me what folders/files I should transfer from my previous version so that all all my settings are automatically transferred to the updated version?
Thank you!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: updating Portable Pale Moon versions

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-11-20, 19:54

I already have an earlier version of palemoon-portable. How do I upgrade?
Since Pale Moon Portable comes in a "virgin" state, you can simply download and overwrite an existing Pale Moon Portable folder with the files from a newer version. Your user profile will remain untouched as it doesn't exist in a freshly extracted Pale Moon Portable. You can also extract the portable to a new folder of your choice and then copy over the "user" folder from the old copy of the portable browser.
Source: http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

CraigPD
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by CraigPD » 2014-11-20, 22:25

Moonchild wrote:
You can also extract the portable to a new folder of your choice and then copy over the "user" folder from the old copy of the portable browser.
After upgrading by overwriting from 15 thru to 24 without adverse effects, I've found since 24.6 the fresh install and copying over of the user (profile) folder to be more reliable, even curing some previous (minor) incidental ills.

era043

Unread post by era043 » 2014-11-21, 20:15

Thank you! I thought that was what I had done this last time, but my bookmarks toolbar didn't automatically show up again in the new version - so I started fiddling around with copying other folders, and ended up making a bigger mess of things. "User" folder it will be, for sure, the next time!