running Pale Moon Portable on linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
stavros

running Pale Moon Portable on linux

Unread post by stavros » 2014-09-14, 07:46

:wave:
In some occasions, (friends computer, testing), it is useful to run Pale Moon Portable on linux by winehq.
However this bug occurs https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37198

The versions I tested are Portable 24.7.1 x86 and Portable 24.7.2 x86
on wine 1.7.26.

Firefox Portable doesn't have that problem.

I would like to know if it is something that can not be fixed. :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: running Pale Moon Portable on linux

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-14, 22:07

You can run the native Linux build in a fairly portable manor by specifying the -p /path/to/portable/profile switch until a proper sand boxing stub launcher for the penguin dominated operating system can be devised.

stavros

Unread post by stavros » 2014-09-15, 06:55

Matt A Tobin wrote:You can run the native Linux build in a fairly portable manor by specifying the -p /path/to/portable/profile switch until a proper sand boxing stub launcher for the penguin dominated operating system can be devised.
thanks, but that is not what I asked. :roll:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-15, 07:26

stavros wrote:
Matt A Tobin wrote:You can run the native Linux build in a fairly portable manor by specifying the -p /path/to/portable/profile switch until a proper sand boxing stub launcher for the penguin dominated operating system can be devised.
thanks, but that is not what I asked. :roll:
Yeah and I offered you a rather acceptable solution so that wine is taken out of the equation as a workaround. The Windows version of Pale Moon was not designed to run on an API compatibility/translation layer on another operating system.

In any event it is HIGHLY unlikely any resolution to this non-issue will be reached unless the makers of wine want to directly work with Moonchild in much the same way ReactOS did to ensure that Pale Moon runs in a way and on a system it was never intended for.

stavros

Unread post by stavros » 2014-09-15, 13:19

That is ok now that I know the purpose of PM. Since there are alternatives, I prefer to use them that a linux build.
:arrow: