Migration From PC's Pale Moon Profile To Portable Pale Moon?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Prizm1

Migration From PC's Pale Moon Profile To Portable Pale Moon?

Unread post by Prizm1 » 2012-03-18, 22:47

How do I migrate my PC installed Pale Moon profile to my portable thumbdrive's Pale Moon install? I have tried copying the contents of the PC Pale Moon profile folder contents into the portable's Pale Moon profile folder,but that did not work. This migration process works for Firefox portable -- copying Firefox PC installed profile folder contents into the Firefox portable's profile folder. This migration process does seem to work for Pale Moon portable, though.

It would be great if a 'PC installed Pale Moon to portable Pale Moon profile migration procedure' were available.

Pale Moon is awesome.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Migration From PC's Pale Moon Profile To Portable Pale M

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-03-19, 09:57

The easiest and recommended way if you want to keep your profile synchronized between the two versions is to use the built-in Firefox Sync functionality, however this will currently not bring across add-ons you may have, and may not be desired if you just want a one-off copy to "get started".

The other way involves manually copying the files:
  1. On your desktop installation, go to help -> troubleshooting information, then click the button "Open containing folder" under "profile". This opens an explorer window with the active profile in the desktop version.
  2. Close the desktop version of Pale Moon, but keep the explorer window open. This is important so the profile is completely closed and written to disk, preventing profile corruption.
  3. Open a second copy of explorer, and navigate to \User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default under your Pale Moon Portable folder
  4. Select all the files in the desktop version profile folder (including sub folders)
  5. Copy/paste or drag/drop to the portable version profile folder (overwrite everything)
That should have you set.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Prizm1

Re: Migration From PC's Pale Moon Profile To Portable Pale M

Unread post by Prizm1 » 2012-03-20, 01:31

Thanks Moonchild! Worked like a charm! I thought that I tried this before but without success. I must have munged something up.

Now, if only I could get Norton Toobar add-on to work with Pale Moon. :problem: