bookmark_backup and password_backup folders help

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cortic

bookmark_backup and password_backup folders help

Unread post by cortic » 2012-03-08, 10:06

every time i close PM it creates another bookmark_backup folder and fills it with a 10mb places.sqlite its also adding folders for password_backup at 304kb .. within 20 minutes my PM installation Dir is over 100mb...

i tried about:config browser.bookmarks.max_backups set to 0 but its still spawning the folders.

anyone have any suggestions?

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: bookmark_backup and password_backup folders help

Unread post by satrow » 2012-03-08, 10:37

I'm really not sure about this, if no one comes up with a definitive answer, I'll try to find out further details.

Generally within Windows Registry type settings, a 0 setting can mean unlimited; try changing it to 5 if you want less than the default of 10.

It does read like you have a profile problem though - try making a new one and testing for a few days.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-03-08, 12:11

This is controlled by palemoon-portable.ini -- I'll look into a better way of handling backups as it's excessive right now for small sticks.

The way of doing this used to be OK when bookmarks weren't stored in one database that also holds your history (which can grow excessively large if not cleaned up regularly). You can disable the 5 backups and only use a single one by finding the following information in palemoon-portable.ini:

Code: Select all

[RunAfter]
;(make password backups)
DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_4|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_5|o
DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_3|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_4|o
DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_2|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_3|o
DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_1|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_2|o
FileCopy=%MOZ_PROFILE_PATH%\key3.db|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_1\|o
FileCopy=%MOZ_PROFILE_PATH%\signons.sqlite|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_1\|o

;(make bookmark backups)
DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_4|$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_5|o
DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_3|$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_4|o
DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_2|$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_3|o
DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_1|$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_2|o
FileCopy=%MOZ_PROFILE_PATH%\places.sqlite|$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_1\|o
And commenting out the "dircopy" entries with a semicolon:

Code: Select all

[RunAfter]
;(make password backups)
;DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_4|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_5|o
;DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_3|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_4|o
;DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_2|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_3|o
;DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_1|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_2|o
FileCopy=%MOZ_PROFILE_PATH%\key3.db|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_1\|o
FileCopy=%MOZ_PROFILE_PATH%\signons.sqlite|$Backup$\$AppName$\password_backup_1\|o

;(make bookmark backups)
;DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_4|$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_5|o
;DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_3|$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_4|o
;DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_2|$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_3|o
;DirCopy=$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_1|$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_2|o
FileCopy=%MOZ_PROFILE_PATH%\places.sqlite|$Backup$\$AppName$\bookmark_backup_1\|o
And then removing the *_backup_1 through *_backup_4 folders.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

cortic

Unread post by cortic » 2012-03-08, 18:11

Moonchild - thanks, i just commented out everything there, so it doesn't make any backups to begin with, saved me an extra 10.2mb and make the whole prog that much closer to 50mb great answer :)

cymroly - i had tried changing the number, thanks though, seems to be disconnected from any backup system, probably something done by PM people...

Now i have a second but similar problem, every day a file is generated in User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default\bookmarkbackups today it was 'bookmarks-2012-03-08.json' seems to be another separate back up for the other five backups that were in a different folder, anyone know how i stop PM from making these backups, there not so big right now but as soon as i get my FireFox bookmarks brought over i have a feeling this will become an issue...

EDIT: about:config browser.bookmarks.max_backups controls this one, set it to 0 and no more problems with the daily backups.. Thanks to both of you for your help, looks like Pale Moon is my new browser :)