Loging Into Pale Moon

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
uffbros

Loging Into Pale Moon

Unread post by uffbros » 2014-07-19, 15:34

I just installed latest version of Pale Moon 32 bit. Every time I load my home page,which consists of 5 websites I get a download file window pop up wanting me to download file named rss.aspx. Why is this doing this? What do I do to fix this? Do I save the file and do something with it? Like moving it to the Pale Moon directory or what? Thanks.

mikeysc

Re: Loging Into Pale Moon

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-07-20, 04:24

Asp is Active Server Page (the x is just extended, as in extra), used mostly by Microsoft servers and supported best by Internet Explorer. RSS is a web based Newsfeed format. Check the links that you saved and see which one has the code linking to the newsfeed and just change that one to the base url for that site. If you do save the downloaded page (if you are sure it's not malware pretending to be safe content), you could open it in Notepad and read the content although the formatting (lack of) is terrible. If you really want the newsfeed in RSS format rather than a web page, you can subscribe to it by clicking the button that looks like the orange and white one up in the right corner of this forum (which you can subscribe to as well :) ).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-07-20, 05:08

Sometimes when you get an inappropriate downloaded file like php or an asp file instead of displaying it is a symptom of the remote server not sending the proper mime-type. It is very rarely the fault of the target web browser for not processing the file properly as it typically will deal with the file stream as the server dictates. (The reverse behavior is seen sometimes when a PNG or PDF file is sent through the browser rendering engine and you get an ascii display of the raw file)

On your side check the site in another Gecko browser such as Firefox or Seamonkey and a webkit/blink browser like Chrome or Opera and of course IE. If those browsers present different behavior especially another Gecko browser then post back. If the same behavior is present in all browsers or all but IE then contact the webmaster of the site and tell them to ensure that their server mime-types are properly set for browsers outside Internet Explorer to handle their site.

uffbros

Unread post by uffbros » 2014-07-20, 15:25

I am an advanced computer user and work on computers but what you 2 just said is way over my head. Only site that I load at startup is www.ighome.com. From inside that I have like 10 items loading in there but they all load so if it's one of them I wouldn't know which one is a rss feed as you say?????

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-07-20, 17:41

*sigh* Right.. tl;dr The site's server is most likely broken but to make sure try getting into the site from another browser. If it happens on another browser then it likely isn't Pale Moon and you should tell the webmaster of the site it is broken. If it doesn't then come back and tell us.