Migrate a PM Portable Profile to PM

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
bearpaw

Migrate a PM Portable Profile to PM

Unread post by bearpaw » 2014-07-10, 02:07

Is it possible to migrate a PM portable profile with settings, add-ons, passwords, etc. to a regular PM installation? If so, any guidance would be appreciated. I've tried a number of things, none of which worked and I'm really only guessing at this.

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Migrate a PM Portable Profile to PM

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2014-07-12, 20:39

You probably have more chance of success by migrating between similar versions, i.e. from 32-bit to 32-bit or 64-bit to 64-bit. But even if you cross that fence, you have a 90% chance of success.

Quick process

1. Install Pale Moon (non-portable) on your computer, and run it once.
(if you already have it with a decent profile, you can make a copy of it later, just in case.)

2. Make sure hidden folders and files are visible in Windows Explorer:
Open a Windows Explorer menu, press ALT to see the menus, then select Tools –> Folder options –> Display
and make sure hidden files and folders are displayed

3. Open both profile folders.
– For Pale Moon Portable, assuming it is installed under X:\PortableApps\Palemoon64Portable, the profile contents will be under:
X:\PortableApps\Palemoon64Portable\User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default
– For Pale Moon non-portable, it will be under:
C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\strange_folder_name.default

4. Empty the content of the non-portable profile folder (i.e. the one at C:\...)

5. Copy all contents of the profile folder of Pale moon Portable into the now empty profile folder of the non-portable version (i.e. from X:\... to C:\...)

6. Now, start your fixed version of Pale Moon and you will be OK.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-07-13, 02:20

mgagnonlv wrote:You probably have more chance of success by migrating between similar versions, i.e. from 32-bit to 32-bit or 64-bit to 64-bit.
As far as I know, profiles are compatible between 32 bits and 64 bits.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-07-13, 07:22

Supernova wrote:
mgagnonlv wrote:You probably have more chance of success by migrating between similar versions, i.e. from 32-bit to 32-bit or 64-bit to 64-bit.
As far as I know, profiles are compatible between 32 bits and 64 bits.
Profiles are fully compatible between architectures.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bearpaw

Unread post by bearpaw » 2014-07-16, 03:03

mgagnonlv - Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for AND the confirmation that it is what I need. I found both sets of profiles that you pointed me to. I'll give it a try in a bit once I have more time and can make sure I don't mess anything up.