Option -profilemanager is not working!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Enkidu

Option -profilemanager is not working!

Unread post by Enkidu » 2014-06-24, 07:53

Hi,

I am using latest pm portable. "palemoon-portable.exe -safe-mode" works fine. "palemoon-portable.exe -profilemanager" not at all! Why?

My portable profiles are in a different directory than pmp. So I need to use profilemanager to set my profiles. Currently this is not easily possible.

Could you please pass all cmd line options through? This would solve all my problems. With FF portable this works as expected. Pm should do so too, please.

Tnx in advance,
Enkidu

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Option -profilemanager is not working!

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-24, 09:41

You can't use the profile manager with the portable, because the portable shell explicitly defines the profile location (to be inside the portable folder) when you launch it.
FF portable (I assume from portableapps.com) is not using the same shell. You're trying to do something with Pale Moon Portable that it's not designed for, sorry. If you need multiple profiles, use multiple copies of the portable.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Enkidu

Unread post by Enkidu » 2014-06-24, 10:29

Moonchild wrote:You can't use the profile manager with the portable, because the portable shell explicitly defines the profile location (to be inside the portable folder) when you launch it.
I know. I already discovered it...
Moonchild wrote:FF portable (I assume from portableapps.com) is not using the same shell. You're trying to do something with Pale Moon Portable that it's not designed for, sorry. If you need multiple profiles, use multiple copies of the portable.
Seriously? This is really moralizing. You are harping on about principles.

Why not giving a more sophisticated user just the ability to open profilemanager? Only keen users will do so. And they normally know why they want to do so. With "-safe-mode" it is already possible. So it should be no big deal to do the same with "-profilemanager".

No one will be hurt when all options are passed...

Currently I do not use palemoon-portable.exe but directly bin/palemoon/palemoon.exe. This works. Ok, not with the portable presets. But it works... The better way would be to just allow -profile & -profilemanager as cmd line options...

Enkidu

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-24, 10:36

Harping on about principles? Moralizing? What in the world are you going on about?

Pale Moon Portable is designed explicitly to be used as a self-contained program, specifically for use on removable media.
Part of that design is a single-profile setup that is passed from the portable shell to a location contained within the portable folder. Trying to use it for any other purpose is not supported. If you need advanced use of Pale Moon in a multi-profile setup, then you should not use the Portable.
If you want to create your own shell, use the zip-packed version of the browser.

All parameters are passed to the Pale Moon binary, but specifying a specific profile as done by design in the portable shell will override the command-line argument to open the manager.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite