v24.5.0 x86 - Status Bar not working

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Jet_Stream

v24.5.0 x86 - Status Bar not working

Unread post by Jet_Stream » 2014-05-26, 11:28

Hi, I installed v24.5 of Palemoon yesterday over the top of v24.3 and now find my Status Bar is not working correctly. Whereas it used to show the URL when I moused over a link and showed page download progress etc, all I have showing now are the words "Status Text" with an "x" in the far left corner to close it.

When I click "Tools\Status bar options" nothing happens.
If I right-click the Status Bar, the options available don't help.

I have changed _about:config_ "Status4evar.firstRun" to True (as per an older advice from Moonchild) and restarted Palemoon only to find the setting gets changed back to False.

When I started Palemoon in Safe Mode, the Status Bar still doesn't show correctly.

Is this a small bug in the latest version?? or is it one of my add-ons messing things up??

Thanks for any guidance...

Supernova

Re: v24.5.0 x86 - Status Bar not working

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-05-26, 11:40

Jet_Stream wrote:I have changed _about:config_ "Status4evar.firstRun" to True (as per an older advice from Moonchild) and restarted Palemoon only to find the setting gets changed back to False.
It is normal that, once the first run is done while you resart, it is set to false. ^.^
So don't worry with that.

And if you still have the issue in safe mode, then it shouldn't be one of your addons but something else (a configuration problem ?)

Jet_Stream

Unread post by Jet_Stream » 2014-05-26, 13:55

I've changed the "Status4evar.firstRun" parameter to True and restarted Palemoon about 6 times. On every occasion it reverts to False.

As for configuration, well it may be that but I have no idea which setting it might be. Point is that when I installed v24.5 I didn't change any settings and the Status Bar was working just fine before the change.

Maybe these entries in the error console have something to do with it:

Timestamp: 26/05/2014 14:48:42
Error: TypeError: self.urlTooltipLabel is undefined
Source File: chrome://locationbar2/content/urlbar.xml
Line: 379

Timestamp: 26/05/2014 14:48:43
Error: TypeError: can't access dead object
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/popup.xml
Line: 325

Timestamp: 26/05/2014 14:52:44
Error: TypeError: self.urlTooltipLabel is undefined
Source File: chrome://locationbar2/content/urlbar.xml
Line: 379

I also saw several relating to Status Bar in there but they've disappeared since restarting.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-05-26, 14:18

Please try to uninstall Pale Moon and use the off-line installer to reinstall it. It's possible that something interfered with the update process leaving the status bar code (which changed between the two versions mentioned) in an unusable state.

By the way, it is normal that the FirstRun parameter reverts to false. By design. it's an initialization flag that when found, reinitializes the status bar code and then flips automatically to false.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Jet_Stream

Unread post by Jet_Stream » 2014-05-26, 17:22

Thankyou Moonchild - and thanks also to Supernova for offering help.
Running the v24.5 installer again fixed the problem immediately. Status Bar now working.

Have a nice day guys.