pale moon sending info to search engines?

For discussions specific to the Portable version of the browser.
gaiko

pale moon sending info to search engines?

Post by gaiko » 2014-04-08, 07:40

Hi, quick question. I was noticing that when i highlight text and rightclick for search (in this case duckduckgo) palemoon seems to append "palemoon" to the end of the search? Eg https://duckduckgo.com/?q=and+site+news&t=palemoon

What exactly is it sending? As one who likes to send as little info as possible (have my user agent set to the most generic browser possible, chrome at the moment) its a bit disconcerting, though I admit its not clear to me what exactly is being sent hence my asking.

Thanks!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: pale moon sending info to search engines?

Post by Moonchild » 2014-04-08, 08:15

Pale Moon is only sending your query and the fact that the client you used is Pale Moon (with t=palemoon), nothing else, to DuckDuckGo.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose

gaiko

Post by gaiko » 2014-04-08, 08:28

Moonchild wrote:Pale Moon is only sending your query and the fact that the client you used is Pale Moon (with t=palemoon), nothing else, to DuckDuckGo.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Not that I am ashamed of Palemoon (quite the opposite, am in aw of how well it works) but does make me stand out quite a bit online as PM is not quite a popular as FF IE or chrome. Is there a way to disable this?

Thanks

PS If it makes you feel any better I donated some mBTCs awhile ago, not trying to wiggle out of giving credit where its due! :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2014-04-08, 08:37

It only applies to DDG searches :) It does not, at all, make you "stand out" online. There is no easy way to disable this, short of manually editing the searchplugin XML.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose