Why create folder named Downloads each time it starts?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Crick

Why create folder named Downloads each time it starts?

Unread post by Crick » 2014-02-07, 09:41

Every time I start Pale Moon, it creates a folder Downloads in my Pale Moon directory. My downloads directory is the desktop.
Sorry but I just hate useless files and folders.

Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Why create folder named Downloads each time it starts?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-07, 10:04

It's because you're using the portable. If it doesn't find the default downloads folder, it will create it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Crick

Unread post by Crick » 2014-02-07, 19:30

How can it not find the desktop?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-07, 21:01

Pale moon portable is designed to be used on removable media. Interaction with the desktop is not intended and actively avoided to keep everything on your removable media. Please see the clear statements to this effect on the Pale Moon Portable webpage http://www.palemoon.org/palemoon-portable.shtml (the big bold red text should give you a clue?)

If you want to use Pale Moon with desktop interaction or in a desktop fashion, including downloads folders on your desktop and other similar features, install the regular version on your system.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Crick

Unread post by Crick » 2014-02-08, 01:43

If it's designed to have no interaction with the desktop...unlike PortableApps.com format, then why does it leave stray folders behind in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon when run from a USB stick?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-08, 11:28

It's not "stealth", it's "portable".

The fact that the folder is created is caused by the way the Firefox startup code is written, which creates/checks those folders before a manually indicated profile folder is used. I could make a "cleanup" routine for that as a workaround, but that would have to account for any desktop-installed versions as well, and I'd rather not remove user's data by mistake.

BTW: PortableApps.com, I hope, does not have Pale Moon in their library? I ask because I never got a request for it to be repackaged and added, in which case it's not allowed.